Diagnostic Assessment

Hi all, I have my autism diagnositic assessment next month and it is causing me alot of apprehension and anxiety.

I am 32 female and like many will be late diagnosed, I have a lot of bad experiences with metal health professionals where I have frequently been misdiagnosed or not listened too, or simply told medication will fix it all.

I am due to previous experiences worried I will again have a bad experience not receive a diagnosis and essentially feel like I fail at life due to all the struggles I have being autistic. 

Did anyone else in a similar situation have the same concerns? How was your experience? 

I am also aware the assessment can be quite draining so any advice on what to expect would be great

Thank you 

• Hello!

We are almost in the same spot and it gives me anxiety from hell. Been going to a psychiatric hospital for over 20 years. I did my research and called them, i already have a adhd diagnosis but they always put me on bad meds that made me feel like not wanting to live anymore.

I met a good doctor for once! And she said okey... I will be autistic WITH YOU even if i am not. You are clearly autistic and i dont understand why any other doctor seen it.

The anxiety for me comes from not knowing the result and honestly i dont trust hospitals anymore.

The doctor makes me feel comfortable, the hospital dosent.

I dont know how it feels for you?

Do you trust your doctor or is it possible to find one that you do feel comfortable with you?

Trying to help, i dont know if i am but i believe it will be worth the process i. The end. I am 34 right now and i dont feel like i have aged a year in my body but my mind geez.

( i lost track got interrupted sorry )

Let me know if you need to text or something.

• Keep your chin up you got this

• congratulations on your diagnosis 

• Thank you so much yes I just know I will feel so much more relaxed after it's all through, I have known I am autistic for a while now and so much of the attributes, feelings and experiences are similar to my own, it's a bit like feeling you are going to fail a test you know your going to get 100% in although doesn't make the worry and nervousness any easier 

• Thank you so much that has been helpful 

• Hi, I just got my diagnosis two hours ago

Congratulations!

• Hi, I just got my diagnosis two hours agoGrinning. Qom exhausted but I think that’s to do with all the worry and tension beforehand, rather than today’s interview. 
    The thing is, different assessment providers seem to use different approaches. Mine was 1) the DISCO test, which is just questions about symptoms/traits, no telling stories or describing tooth brushing. It took a long time though, almost two hours. 2) an interview with a psychiatrist. Lots more questions about your life from childhood, work issues, relationships, mental health. I’d made lots of notes beforehand which was really useful. 
    Both interviews needed another person to be with me and answer questions about me. The longer they’ve known you the better, but it didn’t have to be family of origin. I had my husband and he was really useful. 
    Like you, I’ve been thinking and worrying about this for weeks. It’s a great relief that it has gone the way I wanted, it means so much to me.

i really hope you get what you want and need too.

• Hi

I had my assessment last month (I'm 34) and they were absolutely brilliant. I will say yes it was draining but only because they have to test the areas that you find difficult, I had to tell a story from a picture book, explain and show with my hands how to brush your teeth and answer lots of questions about my life from as early as I could remember up to now. The things they ask you to do will differ depending on what your struggles are. During the assessment you can have a break if you need and they will work around your needs.

Hope that helps, if you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them if I can.

• Hi and welcome to the community!

The NAS has a great set of resources covering the diagnostic process in its recently revamped diagnosis hub. They cover all of the stages in good detail including before diagnosis, assessment and diagnosis, and after diagnosis.

For now, you might find it most helpful to read the articles here:

NAS - Assessment and Diagnosis

It includes:

• What can I do while waiting for an autism assessment?
    • What happens during an autism assessment
    • Criteria and tools used in an autism assessment
    • Professionals involved in an autism assessment

I wish you all the best with your assessment! :)