I think I'm odd

I don't cope well with ambiguity and fiddle faddle. I like to have clear step by step instructions  that I can follow . Written (to consult when needed) rather than oral.

Parents
  • I'm definitely the same. 

I nearly got fired on my first day in a new job due to wanting greater clarity about the task I'd just been set. It's among the many historic situations that I've been ruminating on since my diagnosis.

I think, in that instance, that they perceived my requests for more detail as a challenge to their authority. I didn't know how to respond to their aggressive reply ("are we going to have a problem?"), and so folded with a meek "no" and went away feeling clueless, like I must have somehow behaved badly, and worried about whether I was going to get sacked for having a supposed bad attitude.

I've spent *far too much* time over the last year thinking about how I could have replied differently, had I known then that I was autistic. If I'd been able to explain myself in that context, it would have made for an entirely different conversation, and subsequent relationship, with both that person and their boss, who had been standing next to them.

• I'm definitely the same. 

I nearly got fired on my first day in a new job due to wanting greater clarity about the task I'd just been set. It's among the many historic situations that I've been ruminating on since my diagnosis.

I think, in that instance, that they perceived my requests for more detail as a challenge to their authority. I didn't know how to respond to their aggressive reply ("are we going to have a problem?"), and so folded with a meek "no" and went away feeling clueless, like I must have somehow behaved badly, and worried about whether I was going to get sacked for having a supposed bad attitude.

I've spent *far too much* time over the last year thinking about how I could have replied differently, had I known then that I was autistic. If I'd been able to explain myself in that context, it would have made for an entirely different conversation, and subsequent relationship, with both that person and their boss, who had been standing next to them.

Children