How likely do austitic people and people with comorbid mental problems get PIPs?

Diagnosed with autism, ptsd, depression and anxiety

However, I am a high functioning autistic with a uni degree and a job

What do I do now?

• Yes, it’s very important that you are able to communicate how your conditions affect you. This can be done through different formats, sometimes just sending copies of medical records can result in an award without a face to face assessment. 

• it's about how your conditions affect you.

It about how well you can get across how things affect you, or someone else on your behalf, than necessarily the actual degree to which a condition affects you. Be it DLA before or PIP now, that's how it is.

• Hi NAS95890,

I have PIP for another condition, but as mentioned by others try the Benefits and Work website as it's good resource for information. There is also the pipinfo website that explains the key concepts of applying for PIP, online tests and PIP Caser Law.

From my own expereience (whether in or out of work), the main point you need to consider for each question is:

To be assessed as able to carry out an activity to the level described in a descriptor, a claimant must satisfy the descriptor “reliably”, that is: safely, to an acceptable standard, repeatedly and in reasonable time.

The above applies to everything from walking, eating, cooking, bathing, travelling, etc. The issue isn't if you're able to do those things but if trying to do those things repeatedly has implications on your health.

• Yeah basically the uni degree and job is all the proof they need that you don't qualify for PIP. But I don't think PIP has been a thing for years, cos I used to have it and then it changed to EESA. The sort of qualities they're looking for is the inability to plan a journey, wash or dress yourself, prepare a meal, get around. Basically the less capable you are of functioning as a person, the better your odds with them.

• Hello, this link at Benefits & Work gives information of the success rates based by condition, but as others have mentioned please remember you're not automatically entitled to the benefit just because of the diagnosis, it's about how your conditions affect you. They also have a helpful forum where you can ask questions. benefitsandwork.co.uk/.../success-rates

• Good advice from Bunny.

You can be working and still get pip, its tax free as well.

It is based on what difficulties you have in every day life like preparing a meal, self care and interacting with others as well as making journeys'.

Its all about points. Speak to CAB and have a look at the claim form. I am sure you can get an advocate to help you fill it in with the correct buzz words etc.

However, just because you are autistic does not automatically qualify you. Only you will know yourself and what struggles you may have or not.

• Hi and welcome to the community!

You can find information about PIP - and other benefits - and how to claim them here:

Benefits for autistic adults

Citizen's Advice should be able to help with you with related advice and guidance (link contained in the article).