Anyone else have an issue where they 'see' an image/idea in their head, before they are able to describe it in a concrete, linear way which others can understand?

Curious to know whether this is just my experience.

And if so, how you got round this?

Parents
  • I have come to believe that at least a common trait for autism is thinking in images. This makes me extremely good at my job, and I have seen other autistics talk with their hands like they are touching things, moving objects, all in their head. When I am comfortable and myself, I will do this same thing, where I am trying to describe to someone what I see, and I am "moving things" and "pointing' to objects only I can see. I want to just ask people "can you not see this!?"I have made the joke to a person I am close to at work. I have found whiteboards to be lifesavers in explaining things to people. If I can draw it, then explaining it is so much easier.

So, yes. I have my own little world always flying around me that "apparently" only I can see. ;)

• I can't draw, it would confuse people even more if I tried and as my mental images are personal to me, I don't think drawing them for another would help them. But also I hate it when people draw things for me, it often makes it less clear, the only time I really use drawings, are when a diagram is needed for things like floor space and door width when buying furniture.

Fiona, do you think thats what can make tv or film adaptations so wrong? The characters don't look right, speak right and the settings are wrong? I build a galaxy in my head too, its like a huge 3D mind map, I think it's similar to the Anglo-Saxon and Norse concept of the Wyrd, as it's connected to everyting else too, not just words.

• Fiona, do you think thats what can make tv or film adaptations so wrong? The characters don't look right, speak right and the settings are wrong?

Absolutely! I try not to watch adaptations of books I have loved. If I thought the book so-so, I'll watch it. My only exceptions to this are Call the Midwife and Inspector Morse. While the characters are not the same as mine, they are close enough.

These days I prefer just reading.

I can't watch modernisations of Shakespeare, Dickens, Brontes', Austen and the Greek tragedies, they have to be historically reasonably accurate, particularly costumes. I want to be able to add my own commentary about how it still applies to modern life, as I can think for myself.

the Wyrd, as it's connected to everyting else too, not just words.

Yes to this too - when I'm building the map/galaxy I'm also connecting with my physical, mental and emotional history.

• Fiona, do you think thats what can make tv or film adaptations so wrong? The characters don't look right, speak right and the settings are wrong?

Absolutely! I try not to watch adaptations of books I have loved. If I thought the book so-so, I'll watch it. My only exceptions to this are Call the Midwife and Inspector Morse. While the characters are not the same as mine, they are close enough.

These days I prefer just reading.

I can't watch modernisations of Shakespeare, Dickens, Brontes', Austen and the Greek tragedies, they have to be historically reasonably accurate, particularly costumes. I want to be able to add my own commentary about how it still applies to modern life, as I can think for myself.

the Wyrd, as it's connected to everyting else too, not just words.

Yes to this too - when I'm building the map/galaxy I'm also connecting with my physical, mental and emotional history.

Children
No Data