Imposter syndrome and difficulty researching things

Hello lovely people! I'm a late diagnosed autistic adult, and I've been trying to work on my imposter syndrome. I was convinced I was autistic right up until I was diagnosed, and now that it's official I keep questioning it (as I am overall functioning fairly well, on average, especially since I started working from home, which has removed the majority of my social triggers).

One thing that keeps making me feel like an imposter is that I hate research. It stresses me out. There is so much information out there, I find it overwhelming, having to choose how and what to look for, and then there is so much to read or watch. I know wanting to learn everything about a subject is a big aspect of autism, researching things in depth etc, so not enjoying research makes me feel like an imposter within the autistic community. I do spend a lot of time checking things before buying so I know I'm buying the right thing, but I hate doing it. And one thing that doesn't help me at all is that I rarely research new places I'm going to, how I'm going to get there, where I'll park etc, because the research stresses me out so I ignore it or leave it to the last second. But then I get to the place and I get overwhelmed because I don't know where to park etc.

Can anyone relate to this? Do you have any recommendations for ways to approach research in a smaller, less overwhelming and stressful way?

Parents
  • I've usually followed the "what's interesting" route when researching. I start with a point on Wikipedia that sounds interesting and followed.thr links whereever they lead.

I can also recomend using a paid LLM.service like ChatGPT, a conversational approach to ideas can help a lot, but do ask for source material because LLM's aren't perfect

• I have started to use ChatGPT to help me get started with things and get ideas, you're right, it's so much easier than Googling.

• It is good that you have a positive use for ChatGTP. There are so many bot accounts here now that use ChatGTP to sound realistic and then spam a dodgy link in their text. 

Reply Children
No Data