I don't feel the same as many of you

I feel like an outsider here, my experiences seem very diferent, my interests different, the things I do or don't do are different. The books I find helpful or not are different. Most of you seem like lovely people, so I'm not having a go at any of you, but I just feel like I don't really belong here with the rest of you, I don't feel like it's imposter syndrome, more like I stick out like a sore thumb because of some of the above. I feel like I'm irritating people because of my differences, here I feel almost as much of an outsider as I do in NT company.

Parents
  • Whats a boomer upbringing?

I like that most people don't care or remember me, I don't want to stand out that much, if you stand out people hassle you and want things from you, think you have all the answers, its a massive pain in the bum.

I like that most people don't care or remember me, I don't want to stand out that much, if you stand out people hassle you and want things from you, think you have all the answers, its a massive pain in the bum.

Children
  • Hi The Catwooman, from what I understand, after the Second World War the soldiers returned and the country had a boom in births, the children born from 1946 to the 50’s are known as boomers. It’s thought those children have had the best lives as houses were cheap and things life pensions were ‘gold plated.’ My own parents are ‘boomers’ their house cost £4000, it’s now about a million, my children will never see growth like that and will work to a much later age.

• perhaps your distress is a masking situation?

A situation where you are evolving and growing from being here with us and that can be an uncomfortable stage.

Often, when we get to that stage in any situation, we can have a fight or flight response. We are on the verge of a breakthrough as we say to ourselves "I am 'known' as being one way, bit I feel a shift and want to express myself and feel a new way now .. but there is this history that has me behaving this first way...

It can be frightening, to be seen as inconsistent. It is a masking thing.

Do you have anyone who you really trust over the years with whom you can be whoever you are evolving into? If not, please know you are in a safe place here with us to let go and evolve.

This forum is a precious place, just for that, just for you.

Evolve away! And we will be here for you as you grow. We will catch you.

••

Boomer upbringing.. hmm... As a boomer myself (70yrs old,) I would say that term is too over burdened.

My own boomer experience would as distinct as the next person's as you can read on my profile.

Each of us is on a unique and one-of-a-kind journey! Enjoy the ride and hold on tight! We are all of us on the move!

Somebody who is conservative and square and bad with technology

I remember you, you''re the cat lady, you like cats. Only if you're rich or have green hair will people give you unwanted attention.

I can answer that question

I like that most people don't care or remember me

I remember you, your're the cat lady, you like cats, and you'r a woman

I don't want to stand out that much

That's a self-esteem issue

if you stand out people hassle you and want things from you

That's only if you're rich. No one cares if you have green hair, but they will stare !

think you have all the answers,

In my case, I do. And all the questions too.

its a massive pain in the bum.

[edited by moderator]