Adult Autism Diagnosis: NHS Wait times

Hi all! I was referred by my NHS GP for an autism diagnosis and subsequently passed autism screening. Since then, I was told by administrators that I will have to wait "several years" for an assessment via the Oxfordshire Adult Autism Diagnostic and Support Service. Now I'm not sure if I should exercise my Right to Choose in order to see if I can get an assessment sooner (within a more reasonable time frame of 12-24 months). Does anyone happen to have any advice regarding NHS wait times and Right to Choose? Thank you so much in advance, it would be great to have more certainty with my diagnosis (though I recognise that many others are in the same position as me)!

• I waited 20 months for my autism assessment. I did not want to wait the same length of time for my ADHD assessment, so my GP recommended the Right to Choose pathway. From referral to diagnostic report, it took 4 months. I appreciate that this is very unusual and that waiting lists for autism and ADHD assessments are still depressingly long.

• I had my assessment carried out on the NHS. I was told at first it could be about 4 years. I ended up waiting about 5 months as my situation was reviewed and deemed as an emergency. I have other conditions as well that put me well within that category. I don't know your situation and if you are enduring anything that might priortise your case.

• I waited 2 years before my assessment. The secret is to chase it up after about 9 months, it seems to hurry the process on a bit. To do this, contact your GP. That would be my advice. Thumbsup

• Ah I hope you get an assessment soon! Three years is a long time to be in limbo

• That is very helpful to know thank you! And thanks for letting me know which provider you chose - I've been trying to do research to find the best one so this is good to know. Hopefully my GP works with me on RTC!

• I was referred almost 3 years ago (Durham area), at the time I was told that there was a 3-5 year waiting list.

I know there is no magic wand and nothing will really change once I get the official nod but it would be nice to get some closure.

I've recently sent in an official complaint/enquiry on how much longer I will have to wait.

In the meantime I'm seeing our local mental health team every now and again just to make sure I still exist.

• Hello I was initially given a 48 month waiting list, so tried a right to choose and they came back within 6 months. 

• Hi and welcome to the community!

I waited for over two years on the NHS waiting list. Whilst waiting, I happened to be referred to an NHS psychiatrist for medication-related help. He's the one who told me about Right to Choose and recommended that I ask my GP to switch me to that diagnostic pathway.

I did as he suggested (choosing to go with Psychiatry UK, also per his advice) and had my assessment much sooner than I'd have done had I stayed on the NHS list. If I'd known about RTC at the outset, I'd definitely have chosen that option immediately - so that's also my recommendation to you!