Adult Autism Diagnosis: NHS Wait times

Hi all! I was referred by my NHS GP for an autism diagnosis and subsequently passed autism screening. Since then, I was told by administrators that I will have to wait "several years" for an assessment via the Oxfordshire Adult Autism Diagnostic and Support Service. Now I'm not sure if I should exercise my Right to Choose in order to see if I can get an assessment sooner (within a more reasonable time frame of 12-24 months). Does anyone happen to have any advice regarding NHS wait times and Right to Choose? Thank you so much in advance, it would be great to have more certainty with my diagnosis (though I recognise that many others are in the same position as me)!

Parents
  • I was referred almost 3 years ago (Durham area), at the time I was told that there was a 3-5 year waiting list.

I know there is no magic wand and nothing will really change once I get the official nod but it would be nice to get some closure.

I've recently sent in an official complaint/enquiry on how much longer I will have to wait.

In the meantime I'm seeing our local mental health team every now and again just to make sure I still exist.

• Ah I hope you get an assessment soon! Three years is a long time to be in limbo

Reply Children
No Data