Attending a concert

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any advice/ could share theyre experience going to wembely and concerts with either anxiety or autism. I'm going next Thursday to Taylor swift and have been looking forward to seeing Taylor for years. There's no way I'm not going but since buying the tickets my anxiety has gotten a lot worse. I struggle with levaing the house particularly without my mum and am going with a group friends who although are supportive want to que for a recent while and get a good spot/view. We have early entry and in the largest pit bit and I can get quite clastrobic. Aswell as hot in crowds which is a sensory issue. I also get very anxious when I don't have water on me and so the water situation is making me quite nervous. I'm a massive massive fan and have been obsessing over it for ages and really worried my anxiety is going to ruin it. Does anyone have any tips or experiences to make me feel more at ease. Plan on bringing earplugs, fans and sunflower lanyard but worried that isn't going to cut it: Thank you
  • How did it go? Hope you had a good time :)

• That all sounds like good advice. I'd not considered that the anxiety beforehand was OK. But on reflection, I think you're right. In fact, I think it maybe is more than OK. Perhaps it's even necessary in some sense, as it's part of preparing, mentally and practically. I/we need to be as prepared in our minds as we can be. If we've had some of that anxiety and prepared before the event, perhaps the anxiety during the event is less likely to get out of hand. Perhaps... 

• Hi Rose,

I don't know if this will help much as you are going with friends but I was at Wembley a few weeks ago as my husband is a massive Bruce Springsteen fan.  We had standing but we stayed fairly near the back and the side (right if looking at the stage) so that I could go to the loo or to the bar and easily find him again.  It was an OK spot although I did get a tad frustrated by the constant traffic of people but I think any large event that happens.  There was a free water tap near where we were stood that people were filling plastic glasses with (these weren't readily available but they had got them from previous drinks).  I had my loops in all the time and a sunflower lanyard too.  There was a bit towards the end where (not to get people out it appeared to be part of the show), all the floodlights were turned on for about 4 songs before going off again, I found this pretty overwhelming and put my hood up, so I'd recommend taking some sunglasses as well in case that happens.
    At the end we also waited quite a while to leave until it calmed down and went back via Wembley Central which is more of a walk and was still quite busy but not too bad.
    The only other tip I can think of, is sing, dance, sing your heart out and try and dance your anxiety away.  Take care!

• It sounds odd, but Billy's advice is pretty good. I do the same. I can only do it occasionally, and it needs a big incentive (like seeing a favourite band/artist.)

I don't know if other people are the same, but I only remember the good stuff and the anxiety memory sinks away afterwards leaving me with nice memories. It is worth it. 

Ironically the bigger venues are better for finding a place to hide like toilets etc that smaller venues don't have.

• Hi Rosie, I identify with a lot of what you have said so hopefully I can help. 

really worried my anxiety is going to ruin it

I used to do this with everything to the point where I ended up not wanting to go. I realised a few years ago that I am never going to be able to turn my anxiety off while I am at an event, even if it is one I am particularly looking forward to. So now I use a different approach. I accept that the anxiety will be there, I try not to fight it (as that will make it worse) and then I try to think of it as just background noise, like static on a radio, and know that I can enjoy myself even while it is there

Also, anxiety building in advance of the event is totally ok and normal for us

I am less useful about the crowds and things. Maybe having some calming pictures on your phone to look at if you get overwhelmed. Or maybe your friends could be understnading about not being right in the middle of the pit. 

Oh and also, Taylor Swift is pretty awesome. 

• I love going to concerts, But I really hate being in a big crowd, lights and all that. But when I watch the show I'm always in a moment, Like I'm in my own little world, I will be taking my sunflower lanyard with me next time. But I would suggest contacting the venue, I'm sure they will have some sort of a department that would help you out/ 

• Hello,

I understand your anxiety and worry's. Have you heard of Gig Buddies? They support autistic's to go to concerts maybe this could be an option? I have no idea how to insert a link, sorry. I do know they operate in London and some other cities. Hope this works for you and you have fun. 

• I have problems in crowds and noisy venues. Can't easily manage unless seated with people I know left and right - or on end of row.

You say you are with a group of friends. Personally I'd ask them to shield me from the strangers, as it might help to know that I was surrounded by people I know well. I think I'd struggle, but maybe would help you. I'd need ear plugs when there is amplified music or very loud shouting/applause. If the ear plugs don't cut it, a pair of proper ear defenders might enable escape to a quieter place if anxiety is starting to get out of control?

Are you able to have a plan of escape that you could share with your friends? Does the venue make any provision for people with autism who may suffer sensory overload (probably not)?

Actually, I've just checked and Wembley Stadium does have "Sensory and Inclusion Rooms", but these need to be booked in advance. Something for future reference, perhaps (https://help.wembleystadium.com/support/solutions/articles/7000072630-sensory-and-inclusion-rooms)

• I went to the Adele concert in Wembley a few years ago that had around 90,000 people so was on par with Taylor - it was really well natured and only really had long queues for entry which it soulds like you have sorted.

Once inside you can buy refreshments so should be able to get water there to keep with you - if security give any grief then show your lanyard and tell them you are disabled and need it so they let you through.

Do you have any anti-anxiety meds that could help you on the day? Something non drowsy obviously is ideal but since it is such a time limited event it may be worth considering.

I find with concerts it really helps to try to move into a different frame of mind to our normal "survival" mode out in public. Everyone there is out to enjoy the music, share the pack mentality and just have fun. If you can try to get a bit more "hippy" for the evening and let your barriers down then you may find the focus of the music-  loud though it is - can be part of the enjoyment.

I love big rock concerts for this reason - there is a real sense of camraderie with the other people and you often strike up unlikely friendships with people over it.

Overall focus on the positives and now you know how to deal with the potential downsides then you can just deal with them and enjoy the rest.

• Protect your ears at all cost !...

• Hi Rose. I am going with my daughter next Friday and I am in a similar position to you. We are going to have a look around on the night before and go to the Merchandise shop to prepare us for going there to get into the concert. I've not been to Wembley before. So I guess my only advice would be that, to have a trip out there this weekend to get an idea of how it is going to be.

I'm guessing you've already read this, but I'm posting it here just in case you've not:

https://www.wembleystadium.com/events/2024/Taylor-Swift-The-Eras-Tour

Hope it goes okay.