The trouble with friends

So, I can go to the theatre, have a walk, go to a cafe or restaurant, have city break, enjoy music - all with friends. But I find it excruciating having people in our house and having to host. 

But, my other half would like to entertain at home, says I only want 4 chairs in the kitchen because I only want 4 people (not actually true - we have extra chairs elsewhere and don’t see the point in buying more).I have agreed to but haven’t suggested it because it causes me so much stress. This has gone on for a long time.

I have ASD. My partner, I’m 99% sure has too (he accepts his dad is but sees it as his failings and a mental problem).

We’ve been together 30 years. Lots of changes on the last few with impacts of Covid on family members, addiction, parents getting frail. I think he’s struggling with that and he describes how he feels like his whole world is imploding. He talks about how we don’t have as many friends any more. I am happy with my two good friends. Both used to be in relationships and we were friends as a four. He chooses not to come out with one of them.

I have suggested we start going to a board game evening in a pub to meet new people. He agreed but then has booked most Wednesdays on his own with other people (and it’s in our online diary so he knows). I think he wants his old life back and can’t accept it’s changed. I understand he wants more friends but want to look for new possibilities not dredge up old neighbours that we were never really friends with (He suggested them!)  I am very clear cut about friends and acquaintances and they were most definitely acquaintances.

So what’s my point in writing? Relationship at breaking point. I think I would be happy on my own but think that is the easy way out. Tips maybe? Points of view? Something I’m missing? What do you do about friends? How do you cope with entertaining people? Do you relate to this? 

Parents
  • Hi There,

I feel for you .I myself cannot do relationships and have decided that I am never going to marry or have a family.I ma happy with that I know I would be too needy and would hate the insecurity .Even short term dating did my head in when to text do they like me etc.

However you have been together a long time so for me I think you should work through your concerns as your partner sounds a good person.You just need to explain where you are and come to a compromise.

Better be careful as I am a single person giving marriage guidance!

• Hi There,

I feel for you .I myself cannot do relationships and have decided that I am never going to marry or have a family.I ma happy with that I know I would be too needy and would hate the insecurity .Even short term dating did my head in when to text do they like me etc.

However you have been together a long time so for me I think you should work through your concerns as your partner sounds a good person.You just need to explain where you are and come to a compromise.

Better be careful as I am a single person giving marriage guidance!

Children