Reasonable work adjustments

Hi

Is requesting a designated lunch break at work reasonable? And how long is a lunch break?

• I do not have a given lunch break. 

• The supermarkets are well known for doing everything to “get around” their legal obligations to workers, claiming that its the “system” or “process” when challenged about their inflexibility, when in reality it’s really about the managers own arrogant sense of entitlement as they are on a power trip, many of whom are ex-milltary so they have serious attitude problems - they claim they don’t have time to discuss issues but then they turn around and have disciplinary meetings in police-style interviews where everything becomes a disciplinary or behavioural issue in their attitude to some employees who need extra support at work while said supermarket managers pretending otherwise to all and sundry, telling the employee to “shut up” “pack it in” and “give over” victimising employees for attempting to assert their rights at work, backed up by the in house supermarket trade unions because of their partnership agreements 

• I asked for a one hour lunch break - I work a 10 hour day and need that time to manage my energy and stress levels. My work agreed to this. But I wonder if this is more because I am also diagnosed with bipolar disorder and there is more acceptance of that. 

• I would have thought so if you explain your need for routine this seems perfectly sensible.As for how long it depends on you when I worked unless I was somewhere with lots of shops etc or i could go home 30 mins was enough.I also became insular and did not like staff rooms as you ended up having to talk to people !

• Is requesting a designated lunch break at work reasonable?

It is so long as your work is not of a type with a very variable load (eg till worker in a supermarket), but there are guidelines your empoyer needs to follow. These are listed at:

https://www.gov.uk/rest-breaks-work

Workers have the right to one uninterrupted 20 minute rest break during their working day, if they work more than 6 hours a day.

Thats about it under law - your employment contract may have different details (but they cannot be less than the law states).

• Do you mean having your lunch break at a set time or are you not being given lunch breaks at all? The time allowed is usually related to the amount of hours worked and will also depend on where you work. When I worked in Tescos it was very set how much break you had for particular shift lengths but the computer would calculate a list of break times, especially on tills. I work in a hospital now and get 30 minutes between morning and afternoon clinic (assuming it’s running to time) In theatre it’s whenever the consultant says so or when I put my foot down if it’s getting well into the afternoon . I think this is something you need work out with your boss and come to an agreement on what will work best all round