Feeling annoyed

I don't have children and don't want them. Does anyone else find children playing outside annoying. The shouting, ball bouncing and general noise. I'm very sensitive to noise and loud unexpected noise especially. I know they will grow out of it eventually but another set of kids could move in around me and then it would start all over again. Does anyone have any tips for trying to stay calm and not let it bother you 

• Do you have any sensory headphones you can wear to avoid overload?

I feel for you with this. I'm lucky, I live in a rural area on a farm so don't have to put up with the sounds of children shouting and screaming, and dogs barking but when I visit my sister I do then as she lives on a busy estate next to a park. Whenever I visit her I take my sensory headphones and this has been a big help to me, I no longer have meltdowns from the sensory overload. 

You could also try listening to music or watching something? The sound will make the sounds from outside less intense and noticeable, should make it easier for you. 

I hope you're ok and can find ways to make it more tolerable.

• I have 2 children and I can understand why it can be annoying. I do enjoy my boys playing and enjoying themselves but there are times I struggle with it. When I need to relax, particularly on a Friday which is a complete wind down for me I need to just chill. Ball bouncing against a wall was last Fridays problem for me but very often it is the tv and then my boys sit with me both on phones watching tik tok. I really cannot cope with all these different things going on around me. Sometimes I just go to bed as I know it’s my sensitivity. 
    Dream I would say earplugs and music or if you game like I do gaming and headphones, I can get completely lost in both of those areas which would help me with the things I don’t want to hear. 

Just a thought 

• Just reading your comment about after 10. Last night I was relieved football was over without extra time so went to bed earlier than hoped before an early start for work. I was just dropping off as I jumped at sudden noise from adults, I think it was the horn noise I thought they did when they won the match. 

Then there is the neighbours dog they let out in the evenings often for half an hour at a time. It appears other people don't understand the disturbance noise causes others.

• I do understand, I have a similar thing where I live, there are some kids over the hedge who are always outside screaming and roaring and bouncing around. I try and tell myself that I should be glad they're playing imaginatavly outside instead of being indoors on a screen. I've even persauded myself that it was great that the dad was outside until gone 10pm finishing a fairy castle he built for them in the garden. I'd just like to be able to enjoy my garden without feeling like I'm sharing theirs.

Apparently ear defenders and noise cancelling headphones don't work so well when it's voices rather than other background noise.

• I do have a child (now an adult), but I get where you are coming from. I live in a cul-de-sac too, and currently as there is only one household with a child, the only time when the sound of children playing is an issue is when he has friends visiting.

When my son was a child, he would often play outside with some children who lived nearby, more so during the summer months. Sometimes I had no difficulty tolerating the noise they made, but there were occasions when it really grated on my nerves.

I think girls can be the worst, especially when they start shrieking excitedly. The tone and pitch of it just goes right through me, similar to fingernails being scraped across a chalkboard.

If there are things you need/want to do that produce noise (vacuuming, mowing the lawn, etc), perhaps you could do those things when you hear the children playing to drown out their noise. However, as you mention you are very sensitive to noise, I can see that this could be a problem for you.

The only alternative solution I can think of is to maybe put on a pair of ear defenders, or else listen to calming music through a pair of headphones.

• Just to add I live in a detached on a cul de sac. So it's outside noise.