When and where do you feel you're being 'as you are' ?

My question is - do you have any place (community, environment, online,,, anywhere) where you feel you belong to and can be 'as you are' without masking or concealing the autism diagnosis?

I'm an autistic adult who recently found out I'm autistic, in my 30s.
Currently I feel a little lost, that I am reluctant to disclose my diagnosis at work, to my friends, even to my family...
I feel I never experienced 'unmasking' too. 

So I'd love to hear some others stories who have places like you feel home.
Thank you!

Parents
  • Hey Zoey,

I'm not convinced I have a specific location; it is more a state of mind. What I am positive of is that if you have a late diagnosis and spent a great deal of time before that feeling like the odd one, when you are around people who 'get it', it quickly becomes apparent.

Self-validation is far more critical than seeking assurances from others, especially neurotypicals, as it quickly degenerates into an exercise of futility (you cannot explain it sufficiently/they cannot grasp the concept). Is there a particular reason that sharing your diagnosis is relevant? If you haven't needed to confront it before, it may be a specific can of worms you could do without.

Unmasking is quintessentially being yourself. If you can establish the circumstances which promote that feeling, does it matter how you get there? Or if it's a static location. From my experience, it rarely resembles anything I would have considered vital prediagnosis (I got mine when I was 42). 

The best advice I could give anybody late to the party is to take the time you need to learn to be neurodiverse. Tackle the other questions when you are fully adjusted.

• Hey Zoey,

I'm not convinced I have a specific location; it is more a state of mind. What I am positive of is that if you have a late diagnosis and spent a great deal of time before that feeling like the odd one, when you are around people who 'get it', it quickly becomes apparent.

Self-validation is far more critical than seeking assurances from others, especially neurotypicals, as it quickly degenerates into an exercise of futility (you cannot explain it sufficiently/they cannot grasp the concept). Is there a particular reason that sharing your diagnosis is relevant? If you haven't needed to confront it before, it may be a specific can of worms you could do without.

Unmasking is quintessentially being yourself. If you can establish the circumstances which promote that feeling, does it matter how you get there? Or if it's a static location. From my experience, it rarely resembles anything I would have considered vital prediagnosis (I got mine when I was 42). 

The best advice I could give anybody late to the party is to take the time you need to learn to be neurodiverse. Tackle the other questions when you are fully adjusted.

Children
No Data