Struggle to understand intentions, like banter vs being mean, any advice?

Hi everyone,

I am a female autistic person and i struggle to understand people's true intentions. It's interesting because I think that I have a good read on people and then I get surprised when my " friendship " with them doesn't turn out the way I expect. For example, when I moved to the city I know live in, I joined a Facebook group for new people in the area and ended up making a lot of connections (heavily masked my way through it - but that's a different story). Anyway for a couple of years I would keep up with these people regularly, they would confide in me and vice versa and invite me out regularly - sounds like a good group of friends right? Anyhow the last year or so I began the process of un masking (really just being authentic), and I still can't quite believe it but all of them are no longer bothering with me and I could no longer consider them friends. I know this partly might be due to me being masked vs unmasked, but I also think I've missed a few flaws in character there for them to treat me this way. So even though I think I have a good read on people, the results in my social life would say otherwise.

Anyway, today I met up with an old friend (from 10years ago). She had invited one of her other friends who I know but am not particularly close with. There was a couple of points throughout the day where I would say something, and then they would repeat it a short time later in the conversation making a joke of it. Is this banter or being mean?

Although she's been a friend for a while I do question her motives sometimes. For example, she had invited her friend today without running it by me. She often goes traveling with these friends and I never get invited, even though I'm someone who is known to enjoy travel. She also never invited me to her New Year's eve parties etc.. so I feel like maybe she's not a close friend they way I think she is.

Do any of you have advice on how to distinguish between banter vs someone being mean?

Thanks for reading!

• On that point, I think it's good to ask. And talk about it.

I always felt unsure about a friend inviting their friend. On the one hand, I welcome them bringing along someone for support. On the other hand, I was afraid that I'd get pushed out and their friend would make me look, I suppose, unappealing in comparison.

• What HMO said, a brilliant way of putting it.

I think lots of people assume that inviting another is OK, probably they don't that we need more one to one interaction, 3's an awkward number anyway in a social setting.

• If it's banter, they're laughing with you, not at you. You don't feel small.

It does seem like your friendships are imbalanced. It's not fair that you wind up having to do everything.