Should I get confirmation that i'm on a waiting list for a diagnosis?

A few months ago I talked to a GP about getting an autism assessment. I was told I'd be put on a waiting list, but I haven't received any letter or email confirming this has been done. If you've also sought a diagnosis through the NHS, has it been different for you or is this normal? I'm wondering if I should call my GP to ask for confirmation, but I'm worried about coming off as rude if this is supposed to be the normal process.

Edit: Funny thing. I posted this yesterday, and today I got a text from my GP surgery saying my forms are ready to collect lol

• Thanks! I thought all self-referral options were in the private sector, so I hadn’t even considered that. I’ll definitely look into it :)

• Hi Felix,

I encountered the same worry and difficulty and eventually went down the 'self-referral' route for assessment/diagnosis that was allowed in the NHS area that I was living in at the time (Northumberland). Having downloaded, filled out and submitted quite an in-depth questionnaire directly to the local Autism Assessment Centre (who I found on an internet search), I received confirmation quite quickly in writing that I had been placed on their waiting list for assessment and was regularly updated with letters confirming that I remained on the waiting list as the months went by. Unfortunately, before I was offered an assessment (18 months had gone by), I had to move to a different area (Shetland) where no-one seemed to know what the assessment and diagnosis proceedure was so my GP merely gave me a 'self-assessment' questionnaire on which I scored 92% likelihood of being autistic and that satisfied him to note it down in my medical records as an 'official diagnosis'. I have also been referred to the Mental Health/Psychological Services team for psychotherapy as I also suffer from severe depression and anxiety for which I am on a waiting list. I hope that through that I can get a bit further down the road of finding out what help and support might be available for autistic individuals but I'm not that optimistic there will be anything.

Some ideas which I hope may be helpful are: 

1. Find out if there is a 'self-referral' option available to you in your area (search the internet for your local NHS Autism Assessment Service) and, if so, do it. I felt confident there was no difference to them whether the referral came from a GP or via self-referral. Be careful that you don't mistake one of the private services available that can cost many thousands of pounds.

2. If not, then please don't see it as rude to chase this up with your GP - my experience of similar things is that persistence pays off, even if it only to "get rid of you"!!!! If you don't feel confident to do this on your own (and I understand that perfectly), maybe ask your local Citizens Advice Bureau if there is some sort of advocacy service available locally that may be able to help. The charity group 'Mind' is also worth a look.

I hope sharing my own experience may be of help to you.

Good luck, have heart and best wishes.

Ray

• Definitely ask. You should have received confirmation by now. Your GP's receptionists / secretaries should be able to check it for you.