Mood Swings.

Anyone know any tips to help with general mood swings? One day im fine and the next day.....boom! I'm an empty shell and have no idea why. Cant even describe the feeling apart from feeling 'flat' or 'empty'. 

• So it's unlikely you're peri-menopausal then lol.

• Thats good advice holly. Will have to try some mindfulness and try to write down how i feel but its so hard to actually say what it is apart from, flat, empty, deflated or something along those lines lol

We can only try 

• Hi,  I'm really sorry you're experiencing this. I can totally relate to what you're going through. Mood swings can be really tough to deal with, especially when they seem to come out of nowhere. One thing that has helped me is practicing mindfulness and meditation. Taking a few minutes each day to focus on my breath and clear my mind has made a big difference in how I handle my emotions. Also, keeping a mood journal can be helpful in identifying triggers or patterns in your mood swings. Remember, you're not alone in this and there are ways to manage and improve your mood.

• Im a 44yr old bloke haha could be alot to do with alexythymia im thinking? so going to have a look into that

• I don't know your age or gender, but could it be hormonal if you're a woman?

• Thanks, thats really helpful i will check them out.

• Emotional regulation is a common issue for autists and there are a few good books on this that help as it is quite a complex subject. I would recommend:

Disorders of Affect Regulation, Alexithymia in Medical and Psychiatric Illness - Graeme J. Taylor, R. Michael Bagby, James D. A. Parker (1999)
    ISBN 0521778506

I would borrow the following from the library of get from Archive.org:

Self-Regulation and Mindfulness - Over 82 Exercises & Worksheets for Sensory Processing Disorder, ADHD, & Autism Spectrum Disorder - Varleisha D. Gibbs (2017)
    ISBN 9781683730620

and if you want to read more of a therapists book on the subject:

Emotional Processing Deficits and Happiness, Assessing the Measurement, Correlates, and Well-Being of People with Alexithymia - Linden R. Timoney, Mark D. Holder
    ISBN 9789400771765

An therapist with experience in the field is probably the best tool to have - they can tailor any discussions and training plus motivate you when you lose the will to continue.