What is your biggest challenge with being an autistic adult?

I am an occupational therapist who works with autistic teens and young adults. I am curious- what is the biggest challenge autistic teens and young adults face as they transition to adulthood? Is it the fear of being lonely? Employment? Succeeding in college? Being accepted by others and making friends?

Parents
  • For me it was struggling to pick up on social cues and just not knowing why everything seemed so alien. Everyone else seemed to have social groups, they seemed to have a secret code.

• This especially. I used to spend hours watching others talk and then try to mimic it hoping I would fit in. Never managed to get the hang of it. 

• I did and still to an extent do the same, I’ve always found it very easy to mimic voices and mannerisms. If I ever did go to a party, I was the one standing in the kitchen trying not to get in the way. It’s an old explanation but I always feel like I’m looking in and observing.

• I'm very much the same. I've always been a natural mimic and if I could interact as well as I do mimic there wouldn't be a problem but I can't. I'm forever observing without ever making any progress. Can be very frustrating at times it really can. I'm sorry you are in the same boat. 

• I'm very much the same. I've always been a natural mimic and if I could interact as well as I do mimic there wouldn't be a problem but I can't. I'm forever observing without ever making any progress. Can be very frustrating at times it really can. I'm sorry you are in the same boat. 

Children
No Data