New diagnosis - next steps

Hi,

I very recently received my diagnosis/confirmation which has been a huge relief and also already answered a lot of questions. During the assessment they picked up that I'm very skilled at masking and how exhausted it makes me feel. It would be nice to try and start breaking down those masking barriers with others but not sure what that will look like. Not sure what I'm asking, but I think I'd be grateful for any advice from anyone who's had an adult diagnosis and what next steps I could take. 

Thank you!

Parents
  • Try to keep in mind that you should be living your life for you, not other people. While it's good to be polite and make small talk in some situations, particularly professional ones, it's important to be yourself. Examine what really makes you happy and work on throwing away the masks that are stopping you being yourself. I wanted to get rid of my people pleasing and fitting in masks, so I no longer just go to social events to please others or fit in, and I don't hide my special interests. If people don't like me because I don't go to the works Christmas party, or because I play video games, we're not compatible as friends anyway.

Be kind to yourself.

• Try to keep in mind that you should be living your life for you, not other people. While it's good to be polite and make small talk in some situations, particularly professional ones, it's important to be yourself. Examine what really makes you happy and work on throwing away the masks that are stopping you being yourself. I wanted to get rid of my people pleasing and fitting in masks, so I no longer just go to social events to please others or fit in, and I don't hide my special interests. If people don't like me because I don't go to the works Christmas party, or because I play video games, we're not compatible as friends anyway.

Be kind to yourself.

Children
  • You've also made me think that unmasking is also being honest with people - for example that I won't be able to go to a social event as it causes me too much anxiety. Up until now, I took the literal version of "masking" as it being just facial expressions for example. But I think being honest with things is a good place to start! 

• That's really good advice, thank you. It's all very new still so I probably need to work out what those masks are so I can be comfortable to lower them... But all in time! Thanks again Slight smile