Autism and borderline personality disorder

Hi, I am recently diagnosed with ASD (2 weeks) and BPD(3 years) does anyone else suffer from this comorbidity, and how do you cope? Any advice welcomed.

• Yes, I have BPD, though I prefer the European term, Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder, I think it’s a bit clearer where the issues lay. I also have traits of OCD and traits of Asperger’s and I agree, it can be exhausting.

Many of the traits overlap with each other, I don’t know therefore if we/I get a double whammy of it all? A right cocktail Tropical drink.

Do you agree with your diagnosis? Because I think acceptance has a big part to play.

• Ooh, yes me. It’s exhausting. It’s hard to know what’s what half the time. Like if I’m getting really angry, is because I’m getting overwhelmed (autism) or is it cause I’m emotionally unstable (bpd) I try to see it just as it is though, if I’m angry I’m angry, if I’m sad I’m sad, and not label them as part of any diagnosis, that’s usually when I’m normal again and I sort of reflect on whatever’s happened. I also have GAD too thrown in for fun lol I wouldn’t get too hung up on labels though, just try and manage the symptoms of whatever it is that you’re finding hard. DBT is very helpful for BPD, I’ve done the course a number of times, the one section I always found most difficult though was interpersonal effectiveness, which I know now is because of my autism, something I didn’t know I was back then! Sorry for ramble, hope I’ve helped though