Autism and ADHD

Hi everyone

I’ve been off my meds for nearly a month now, for the first time since I had my autism diagnosis, and am in the process of getting to know myself again.

Part of that has been to revisit the possibility that I have ADHD, or more specifically ADD, as well. There are many symptoms common to both ADHD and autism though so it’s difficult to tease them apart.

I know there are quite a few AuDHD people on this forum though. So can any of you describe the difference in experience, symptoms and behaviours between “vanilla” autism and AuDHD?

Parents
  • Still trying to work this out myself. 
    diagnosed ADHD 2021, autistic 2023. 
    I’m struggling with ADHD meds. They help with executive functions and awareness but increase sensory overload and for a few hours after I take it everything is just too much and I have to rest in quiet. 
    When you say meds, I assume you don’t mean ADHD meds? 
    id say the thing about my dual diagnosis is I need stimulation to turn my ADHD brain on to function in all ways (physical co-ordination, interception, pain as well as expected cognitive executive functions) but my autism is very sensory hypersensitive so often the things my ADHD needs, contributes to sensory overload. :/ Like with the medication. 
    positive of both is things like, im good in a crisis, my ADHD kicks in and my autism means I’m guided but rational/logical thought. 

• No, I was put on mirtazapine before my autism diagnosis as a combined depression and insomnia medication (except it didn't help my sleep and I think I was burned out more than depressed).

You are corroborating what I've read elsewhere though: that autism can become more pronounced on ADHD meds because the ADHD and autism balance each other in some ways.

• The article on Embrace Autism was very helpful. It corroborates what I have observed in myself 

I have only tried versions of methylphenidate though due to supply issues. When I go back in July, they want to try the amphetamine type to see if that is better. 

I’ve been in mirtazapine in the past (long before these diagnoses) for insomnia. I had the least issue with it of all the antidepressants I tried. In general though I am very sensitive to all medication so don’t let my experience out you off trying things that may be helpful to you. 

I also have the issue that I take HRT which interacts with dopamine so the adad medication has variables there to deal with too.  

• The article on Embrace Autism was very helpful. It corroborates what I have observed in myself 

I have only tried versions of methylphenidate though due to supply issues. When I go back in July, they want to try the amphetamine type to see if that is better. 

I’ve been in mirtazapine in the past (long before these diagnoses) for insomnia. I had the least issue with it of all the antidepressants I tried. In general though I am very sensitive to all medication so don’t let my experience out you off trying things that may be helpful to you. 

I also have the issue that I take HRT which interacts with dopamine so the adad medication has variables there to deal with too.  

Children
No Data