Autism and ADHD

Hi everyone

I’ve been off my meds for nearly a month now, for the first time since I had my autism diagnosis, and am in the process of getting to know myself again.

Part of that has been to revisit the possibility that I have ADHD, or more specifically ADD, as well. There are many symptoms common to both ADHD and autism though so it’s difficult to tease them apart.

I know there are quite a few AuDHD people on this forum though. So can any of you describe the difference in experience, symptoms and behaviours between “vanilla” autism and AuDHD?

Parents
  • Still trying to work this out myself. 
    diagnosed ADHD 2021, autistic 2023. 
    I’m struggling with ADHD meds. They help with executive functions and awareness but increase sensory overload and for a few hours after I take it everything is just too much and I have to rest in quiet. 
    When you say meds, I assume you don’t mean ADHD meds? 
    id say the thing about my dual diagnosis is I need stimulation to turn my ADHD brain on to function in all ways (physical co-ordination, interception, pain as well as expected cognitive executive functions) but my autism is very sensory hypersensitive so often the things my ADHD needs, contributes to sensory overload. :/ Like with the medication. 
    positive of both is things like, im good in a crisis, my ADHD kicks in and my autism means I’m guided but rational/logical thought. 

• Still trying to work this out myself. 
    diagnosed ADHD 2021, autistic 2023. 
    I’m struggling with ADHD meds. They help with executive functions and awareness but increase sensory overload and for a few hours after I take it everything is just too much and I have to rest in quiet. 
    When you say meds, I assume you don’t mean ADHD meds? 
    id say the thing about my dual diagnosis is I need stimulation to turn my ADHD brain on to function in all ways (physical co-ordination, interception, pain as well as expected cognitive executive functions) but my autism is very sensory hypersensitive so often the things my ADHD needs, contributes to sensory overload. :/ Like with the medication. 
    positive of both is things like, im good in a crisis, my ADHD kicks in and my autism means I’m guided but rational/logical thought. 

Children
  • No, I was put on mirtazapine before my autism diagnosis as a combined depression and insomnia medication (except it didn't help my sleep and I think I was burned out more than depressed).

You are corroborating what I've read elsewhere though: that autism can become more pronounced on ADHD meds because the ADHD and autism balance each other in some ways.

• Oh, also, should have said! (Demonstration of my ADHD!) 

When my ADHD is medicated effectively, it exposes my autistic traits more. They didn’t want assess me for autism until this was achieved.

Other people don’t always like this change because the hyperactivity can sometimes seem like “happiness” and can mean I put tons of energy into entertain other people out of anxiety to please/mask.