The "Aspie quiz" that shows typical & atypical traits

Recently Kefka posted his results of what I know as "The Aspie quiz" and Uhane requested a link to it, so I have copied the link below (hope it works)

https://embrace-autism.com/aspie-quiz/

This test results in a 10 sided chart, showing how strong your atypical (autistic) and typical (neurotypical) traits are, which I find really interesting. For an example, here is my result:

This matches my my attention to detail, pattern recognition and special interests (high atypical talent) and my need for predictability and my hypersensitivity (high atypical perception). I have what is maybe an unusual communication score for someone on the spectrum, however this is an ability to interpret and display typical non verbal communication - not as I originally thought, being ok at conversation. (Verbal communication is in the talent section of the typical side of the graph)

I have a question about this test - does anyone know if it is used anywhere for formal diagnosis?

• My score: 165 of 200
    100% probability of being atypical (autistic/neurodiverse)

• I noticed that too. when I compare it to the earlier version of the test I can see that perception difference. It may something I have learned to do over the years. This is what I believe. I have been making an effort, in the last year or so to find ways to mingle with the world-at-large more. I notice more and more patterns about that as I go along. It may be shifting my "perception"? I honestly can't say.

Here's the weird thing. In the last couple of years I've noticed that I will get a "certainty" when people  are lying or if they embellish or boast or if they are trying to grift me. I get extremely awkward and cannot even look anywhere near their faces and I want to flee, or revert to the mutism of my early childhood. I will sometimes get irrationally passive/aggressive.I must have hacked some pattern of recognition there - but it operates on a more limbic, primal level (perhaps I'm smelling it?) assessing it via my adrenals for friend/foe consideration. That's my educated guess.

I can see why as I've had many encounters in the last 10 years where not seeing the signs for danger has put me right in the middle of it and I would seek patterns to guide me.

Expressions can also just read as theatrical to me, revealing of intent of the character, but I interpret them as a character playing a part. In short, emotions need explaining, I don't trust the face.

Although when people are being genuine with me there is none of that. Those people are easier to connect with, even via eye contact albeit fleeting. The put me at ease.

This spring a have been trying to hack the eye contact thing too.

• It is quite a common issue for autistics and the topic tends to come up on this forum quite a bit.

I can recognise close family members and people that I am expecting to see in their usual context. For example a librarian within the library or a doctor within the GP surgery. However if I see people out of their usual context I won't recognise them.

Many times in my life I've had people claim to know me from school, college or work. However I genuinely have no recognition or recollection of who they are.

In terms of facial expressions it's possible to learn what they mean but it's not something that is instinctive for me. I do use smileys and they helpfully have a short description if you hover over them with the mouse.

I don't really have much human contact these days so it's no longer a major issue for me. Where it does cause problems is if I'm watching a film or drama and I can't remember who the characters are. I have to keep rewinding to try and work it out.

I don't even think about what my face might be doing when I'm interacting with anyone. There is usually far to much information for my brain to try and process without adding that into the mix too. I believe I have  very neutral and non expressive facial expressions. As for eye contact I don't do that at all, far too uncomfortable. I always look at the mouth, as it helps me with my auditory processing difficulties.

• I'm just curious about your prosopagnosia. Do you have issues recognizing your family members or friends as well? What about emotes like a smiley face Slight smile? Is that difficult for you? Are faces unrecognizable, and you have trouble remembering the faces? Do you have to study facial expressions really closely to understand what they mean? How is every day life for you? 

I'm kind of bad at making facial expressions, and I often overexaggerate them, or not show much expression at all. Maybe I'll  show too much or too little eye contact. It's hard to get that stuff right. 

• Typical perception is reading facial expressions and recognising people.

That doesn't sound like me at all. I am hopeless with both of those and actually strongly suspect I have prosopagnosia. I answered no for the questions asking if I am good at interpreting facial expressions and recognizing people. 

Out of curiosity I've looked up my scoring for this section and I see I have been given points for both of those answers. Other clearly atypical answers, such as problems with timing in conversations and phone calls, scored zero. I wonder if that is an error with the scoring system or if I have misunderstood how it works.

It is interesting that quite a few of us seem to have that spike in typical perception.

• I wonder if I'm bad at certain NT skills then. I don't know what it all means. But I do enjoy seeing at all the different charts on here. It's almost like looking into people's minds. It's very cool. 

• Interesting, Uhane.

Have you noticed how, while there are lots of different shapes, nearly all of us have high atypical talent? (Which signifies strong / special interests, attention to detail and noticing patterns)

You are one of those with higher typical perception, which apparently related to being able to read facial expressions and recognising people. Does that sound correct?

My colleague who is not autistic did this test - she seemed a bit disappointed that she scored 100% typical. It was interesting seeing a shape which mostly  covered the left side of the chart. I might ask her if she would mind if I put It on here, just as a comparison to ours. 

• just found and did the version 5...

• like in the bathtub scene in "The Good The Bad and the Ugly"?

• I'm going to look for that. Do you have a link? (I am SO lazy today)

• Im thinking I've got my very own 'state' shape, I'm in an Uhane state of mind!

• Neurodiverse score: 157
    Neurotypical score: 60

• I choose not to waste too much time contemplating the answer to daft questions - I just shoot !

• 10 minutes?! It took me more like 30!

• I like the graphic. For that alone it was fun to do

Yes, I agree. The questions were rather boring, even though some of them I was like, "YES YES YES THAT IS DEFINITELY ME!!!". I only did it for the map. Sadly, it was not the shape of Texas.

•  I like the graphic. For that alone it was fun to do.

• Hi Autunomistic

Apparently, Atypical perception is routine driven, need for predictability, and hypersensitivity or hyposensitivity.

Typical perception is reading facial expressions and recognising people.

• To be fair, I only did it out of interest (as everyone else was doing it). I recall that I did the test before and got similar results. I am not bothered about it, just intrigued, as I typically score between 37 and 43 on the AQ50 test.

• Don't sweat the small stuff!  This is one niche test.  Do more of these things online, and see what the aggregate picture of "you" looks like.

One online test does.not an aspie make......or something like that!