Inclusive Language

Hi All,

I'm trying to set up an internal 'best practice' document around inclusive language at work. Does anyone have any tips/preferences on language? I know it's a hot topic currently in the community eg. Autistic person / person with autism etc.

Any insights would be appreciated!

Parents
  • We are neurodivergent not disordered or disabled.

• Agreed. Disabled or disorder has been used for too long now due to the whole it makes people think that we need to be fixed when we don’t. We just need to be accepted, included and accommodated to just like a blind person or a person in a wheelchair.

• Absolutely! We have different needs due to being neurodivergent.

• I'm not sure that's true. You just have to listen to any homophobic or transphobic person or group and the ignorance about what these people are is in full view. If "I think about two guys kissing and it makes me go ew" was enough for these people to decide they don't like it, they wouldn't spend so much time talking about how gay people can't be trusted around children or trans people are indoctrinating schools. 

Whatever knowledge people have of any group they're prejudiced (or not) about is skin deep, if that. It's easy to see autistic people as this deep ocean because it's where we live, while seeing other groups as some monoculture that's easily understood by outsiders. 

• In the case of autism, the vast majority of people really don’t have the slightest idea what it is. None of the people I have disclosed to have reacted badly although some are non-plussed because they don’t really know what it means.

Yes I understand what you mean we are sometimes discriminated against due to lack of accurate knowledge or understanding whereas for the LGBTQIA+ discrimination stems from a refusal to accept the diversity of both gender identity and sexuality.

• Maybe thinking along the same lines as other traditionally ill treated groups such as the LBTQT is more helpful?

I’m not sure it’s the same though. People with prejudice against LGBTQ+ know what it is, what the people are, and have decided they don’t like it.

In the case of autism, the vast majority of people really don’t have the slightest idea what it is. None of the people I have disclosed to have reacted badly although some are non-plussed because they don’t really know what it means.

I think basically what I’m saying is LGBTQ+ people face prejudice but I don’t think autistic people do in the same way.

• I doubt if there will be any round here or if there are they will be done by the group thats allegedly there to help autistic adults.

• No but you can celebrate in whichever way you wish!

For example there will be numerous events happening across the UK such as the Autistic Pride Fair by Autistic Inclusive Meets.

• Autistic Pride! Do we have to parade through the streets having a carnival? lol,

• Maybe thinking along the same lines as other traditionally ill treated groups such as the LBTQT is more helpful?

Absolutely! Completely agree, there are so many similarities between both communities and also there is a huge overlap in both minority groups. For example, it’s very common for us autistics to also be a member of the LGBTQIA+ community.

I've always found that sub-groups have been much more accepting of pretty much any difference, they may not have been discriminated against in the same way as us, but they do understand not being allowed to be your real self in everyday life and hainvg to mask in a different way for the comfort of family, school or work.

Yes I agree too, I suppose because dressing or presenting in alternative ways such as gothic style is a way of questioning and refusing to conform to’ neuro normative expectations. To some extent I think that dressing in alternative ways is much more acceptable for neuro normative society than being openly autistic. Maybe a form of masking for gothic culture is feeling forced to wear plainer clothing or no makeup for example.

I think I'm enabled by autism too, I'm sure there are things I can do and accept in others that if I were NT I would struggle with. On the whole I think it's made me a better and nicer person, because I've had to do a lot of thinking and work on myself and not just accept the norms put in front of me.

That’s great! I am so glad you feel this way too! I think the fact that I am autistic makes me much more accepting of differences in general regardless of what form they may take. It makes us question everything and often that can lead to positive change!

By the way, in case you didn’t already know Autistic Pride Day is on June 18. Grinning

• I agree that neurodivergence isn't a disability as such, what disables us is the way in which society treats us. I don't think it helps NT's either they're not all the same and yet they're treated as if they are. Maybe thinking along the same lines as other traditionally ill treated groups such as the LBTQT is more helpful? I wish there were better terms to describe us, that wern't such a mouthful to say or type.

One of the things that always strikes me, especially reading posts on here, is how few people seem to have explored sub-groups, like goths or hippy's for example. I've always found that sub-groups have been much more accepting of pretty much any difference, they may not have been discriminated against in the same way as us, but they do understand not being allowed to be your real self in everyday life and hainvg to mask in a different way for the comfort of family, school or work.

I think I'm enabled by autism too, I'm sure there are things I can do and accept in others that if I were NT I would struggle with. On the whole I think it's made me a better and nicer person, because I've had to do a lot of thinking and work on myself and not just accept the norms put in front of me.

• I'm a workplace interior designer with autism, I'm really pushing for an inclusive design standard internally relating to neurodiversity in the offices we design. 20% of autistic people with autism in any form of paid employment is not good enough. We're valuable thinkers and do-ers and we deserve a comfortable space in the workplace!

• Neither do I but given that I am heavily

I completely understand that.

I completely agree, we are expected to conform to neuro normative standards when we are literally neurodivergent.

Yep! And when we’re forced to it just does us more harm than good, and while I get those that are neurotypical don’t mean to, if they just listened to us when we tell them how to fix the problem that they do it, not make excuses for it.

• I actually think that being autistic is enabling! For example I am a very passionate, dedicated and motivated autistic person and I wouldn’t possess such qualities if I wasn’t autistic.

I think that being neurotypical is boring, I couldn’t imagine living a life that is not as intense as my autistic life.

Just to clarify for language purposes- neurotypical means the opposite of neurodivergent whereas allistic is a term that is sometimes used to describe non autistic people.

• I don’t agree that we Autistics are disabled by our environment.

Neither do I but given that I am heavily involved in our autistic community and want to represent my fellow neurokin in future roles, I think it is important for me to acknowledge that some members of our community feel differently.

We’re actually discriminated, as harsh as that is to say, by neurotypical standards because we’re not accommodated to.

I completely agree, we are expected to conform to neuro normative standards when we are literally neurodivergent.

• I don’t agree that we Autistics are disabled by our environment. We’re actually discriminated, as harsh as that is to say, by neurotypical standards because we’re not accommodated to.

• However some members of our community do use the social model and believe that some of us can be disabled by our environment.

Reply Children