People saying things they don’t mean

So many times I’ve bumped into someone I haven’t seen for a while or maybe someone even texted me after a while, and they say “we should meet up and do x”.

In 100% of cases they never get back in touch to do x. In 100% of the small proportion of cases where I’ve approached them to take them up on their offer to do x, some excuse is manufactured and x does not happen.

So WHY do people say this? 

Parents
  • I understand, by now, that people saying these things, with no sincerity whatsoever, is merely an NT social ritual.

But I still don't get it. What's the point? 

• Exactly! I get it too, and as soon as they say something like that to me I just feel like "oh so we're openly lying to each other now, see ya!".  

The ones I really don't understand are those who text you out of the blue after months or years to, let's face it, lie.

• The ones I really don't understand are those who text you out of the blue after months or years to, let's face it, lie.

It is either because:

1 - they want something you can provide.

or

2 - they are just updating their contacts to keep in touch (something talked about on this forum recently)

Try to accept it as normal as a rainy day - it just is what it is and it is best to know how to deal with it.

• The ones I really don't understand are those who text you out of the blue after months or years to, let's face it, lie.

It is either because:

1 - they want something you can provide.

or

2 - they are just updating their contacts to keep in touch (something talked about on this forum recently)

Try to accept it as normal as a rainy day - it just is what it is and it is best to know how to deal with it.

Children