Stimming

What stims do you do comfortably in public, as part of your unmasking ? 

I've just started unmasking myself and am curious. 

• I moved my fingers in patterns so hopefully it's not too obvious in public.

• Ohhhhhhhhh I like to spread my hands out wide on the table and imagine if it's and octave's worth on a piano 

• I hope that it's a good trigger. I don't want to upset anyone.

• I mainly stim with my hands.

That could be spreading / stretching my fingers as wide as possible, doing a thumbs up, clicking my fingers (something that I do A LOT at home when feeling anxious).

I also have a variety of small sensory / stress toys such as spinners, cubes and even a very small console type controller.

• I don't know if this is stimming but until recently I always chewed the insides of my cheeks A LOT until it's sore. I've consciously really tried not to because my cheeks were really sore.

Yes that is definitely stimming!

• Skipping like I'm still six years old. I get looks and people laugh but it's a stim that makes me happy and feel comfortable so it doesn't bother me.

• At age 62 I've discovered the joy of squishy stim toys! I have a dish at home which is full of them. I have at least one in my coat pocket when I go out. To start with I got some that looked like a ball so folks thought I had a toy for my dog when I'm out walking with him but now I feel ok to carry more obvious toys. I enjoy passing (kind of throwing) them from one hand to another and this is particularly helpful if I'm in a shop and getting overstimulated. I hadn't thought about stimming in public as being part of my unmasking. Thank you for triggering that awareness for me. 

• I'm very new and don't know a lot, what is or isn't stimming...or if i am autistic, but relate to some elements of other autistic people's. My doctor recently referred me for an Autism diagnosis. But I think I might stim a lot openly but it's mostly hidden.

To cope when focusing or stressing e.g. at work is I bounce my knee up and down fast. I make sure I don't tap my foot and that my leg isn't touching the desk in any way so it's quiet, plus it's under the desk.

I have a spinner, before that I used to play with lanyards and pens and break them all.

Or a rub the back of my head because especially when it's buzzed short, it feels nice.

I don't know if this is stimming but until recently I always chewed the insides of my cheeks A LOT until it's sore. I've consciously really tried not to because my cheeks were really sore.

• Touching my nose and ears when they’re cold. It’s oddly satisfying. 

• Hi

My unmasking for me can’t get into full swing until I have my diagnosis I’m afraid. I’m not sure why I feel that way but it’s just the way I would like it to go. I have been stimming without realising for a very long time, I chew all the skin around my nails and sometimes inside my cheek (right side only for some reason) Also I hold my head in my hands as it feels really comforting and when I’m alone I rock slightly. Can’t really explain why it feels good but it’s soothing to me. 
    Would love to know how to successfully unmask, I have been doing it for that long I really don’t know how to be me or who me is.