Do you struggle with conflict?

I’m sure nobody likes conflict but I feel that as an autistic person it’s something I handle particularly badly. I get into a panicky state and I am quick to apologise, even over-apologise, whether I am in the wrong or not. I become overwhelmed with guilt and self-hate. The last conflict I led me to experiencing signs of (passive) suicide ideation as I felt so bad about myself. I won’t call out the other person’s behaviour as I just want to “fix” the situation as quickly as possible. Instead I roll over for them and allow them to walk all over me. I really hate that I’m like this, it makes me feel so weak and pathetic. 

• well i dunno i think anyone starting conflict with me gets the worst end of it so on my end it isnt really bad, its bad on whoevers end that starts with me. theres no in between with me, by defaul you get friendly funny guy. but if conflict starts and i see it then it just flips to kill or be killed and i go all out on everything. i dont lose, and if the other person thinks they won they fail to realise its a protracted battle and ongoing until i win lol theres no subtle with me, if i detect any subtle insult at all my mind makes it not subtle but very loud and offensive and requires me to put them down and underneath me for any subtle comment that seems they are putting me beneath them. either way its not wise to have conflict with me. but its very easy to keep me the funny childish guy...

ofcourse a issue comes when people dont like any perceived childishness, then demand seriousness then i comply and give them serious but my serious is not something they like one bit as its factual by the way and logic and if they are in the wrong in any way it will come down on them like a falling building, such as my neighbours who claimed i was being childish when i tried to break up their argument they was having by adding funny to it to bright up the mood which they turned on me then and called me childish and told me to be serious... so i was serious and brought the rule of law and the building and pointed out how they are all against the rules and they took offence at multiple points as i brought  up many rule breaks they are doing such as smoking in the building which isnt allowed and one guy taking drugs, and how making noise after 11 is actually not allowed by lease but also illegal by local council laws, so they all turned on me then... so i then reminded them of another fact, they are tenants and i am a owner and i threatened to evict them all lol ....they should have just stuck with my fun childish brighten up the mood act and accepted that no? but they demanded serious so they got it 

• I find that I cannot look at a person who I have had a conflict with for some time afterwards. I imagine that I have to process what happened, before I can look at them again. I don't mean look them on the eye, I mean look at them at all.

• Conflict is a normal part of existence. The only way to eliminate conflict is to live in a padded cell, but that's not much of a living. My mother was deathly afraid of conflict too, she was stoned with Lorazepam 24/7 and allowed the most horrible things to happen in her house. Now she's dead, good riddance. 

• I struggle with conflict as well. I struggle with interacting with others because of my autistic social awkwardness. It's never pleasant.

Conflict really throws me. Automatically my brain tries to figure out how it led to this and then how to resolve the problem, both of which I never actually work out.

It led to me shutting myself away, isolating from the world, just staying in my bedroom where I feel safe and happy.

I wouldn't recommend you shutting yourself in. I've done this and it's a lonely existence.

Shortly after coming out of my shell I met my now wife by a chance encounter.

• Thanks for all the replies so far. Honestly, it’s getting to the point where I’ve considered shutting myself in and not making any “unnecessary” interactions with other people, including online interactions, just to minimise the risk of being involved in any conflict. 

• I used to suffer from the same issue, but I managed to mitigate it. First, combat sport training does wonder for learning how to channel and direct fear and aggression. It also helps a lot with the innate clumsiness that comes with ASD. Second, I started putting myself in confrontations and violent environment, to the point that I became inured to conflict. Sometimes I spent hours afterwards shaking and crying, but I learned to present a brave face when pressured by aggression. Now I live in a very safe environment with non-threatening people, but at least I know that I can fight if needed. 

• Hi and yes I struggle also especially if I don’t know the person very well. I more able to stick up for myself with family but there’s a lot of advantage taking before I reach that point. Having said that I have had some bad reactions to strangers that either get too close to me and keep nudging me and I’ve told them very loudly to get out my space. I find it really intrusive and makes me feel uncomfortable. I also from time to time get upset with people who are extremely rude and this includes queue jumping, I just have zero tolerance for bad manners in adults. I must add when I do react like this it makes me feel guilty and horrible afterwards and I hate myself for doing it. Other than that I am very patient and generally back away from debates and disagreement. 

• If there's a bit of grace from someone to give you a bit of space, then it'd help. If not, it's ideal if you had someone there to basically stick up for you.

I have barely had that and it leaves you feeling like everyone hates you.

• Yeah, knowing what to say or how to react in the moment is difficult for me too. I’m glad someone understands.

• Oh I am terrible with conflict. The problem I have is that in a situation where I'm expected to have an immediate response to something in the moment, I'm terrible with it.

It's worse when other autistic people don't understand that I need time to process things, and instead expect me to respond like a neurotypical person. That particular example was, for a number of reasons, the worst thing that ever happened to me.

So yeah, you're not alone.