Dealing with conflict in the real world.

I see a lot of very conflict adverse inderviduals in this forum. I'd say since I was a kid sociaty has become more conflic adverse. I got in a fair few fights in school in the 80s. It was considered fairly normal for the odd fight to erupt in the playground. Part of the process of kids learing to resolve difrences with their words and controling their tempers was taking a few knocks when arguments turned into fights. Now we have a generation afraid of having an argument less someones feelings are hurt. Which means every time a verbal conflict erupts half of the room goes to cower in the corner. I truly belive phyical 'fighting' would be good therapy for young people, especialy autistic people. I'm thinking particularly in the context of orgonised sport like boxing, karate or judo. It should be part of the school curiculum that kids should have to face each other in phyisal confrontation so they can loose their fear of expressing interpersonal conflict and instead gain a healthy respect for the risks associated with physical violoence as well as an awareness of their own ability to handel people who might act violently towards them.

What do you guys think?

Parents
  • I think that one's on line presence can be very different to one's REAL LIFE presence.

What the AF is the point in trying to argue or "stand your ground" in such an UNREAL place with such UNREAL presences.....here.

It is utterly apparent to me that arguing in this place seems to get nobody anywhere......apart from the fact that there are reduced numbers here, less variety, less opportunities to learn....less interest, frankly?

I think some people like the opportunity to feel "big or clever" from "winning" an "argument" in this place.......in the same way that people like to go and kill 50 "people" in Call of Duty and then feel like they are accomplished soldiers.....who should be feared and respected...I think it is sad.

Most things "argumentative" here......are pointless falsehoods that may perhaps assist the truly weak with their self-perception of worth.

I think our real problem, these days, is that civil DISCUSSION is no longer possible without asshats INSISTING that ARGUMENTS are essential.  They are not.

3+ decades ago, people were able to agree to disagree, without needing to pointlessly escalate to argument.  This no longer seems possible with MANY, MANY people.  It is sad.

That is what I think.

• The Internet became our Mums and Dad's. The whole notion of 'Children should be seen, and not heard' was taken advantage of. Mum and Dad watched TV, while kids were sucked into a vortex.

Plus, school isn't the right environment for kids. It's all about creating niche groups and cliques. Divide, and conquer.

I saw a video of toddlers denied access to their iPad. It reminded me of how berserk my brother and I were on our consoles. Even treating TV game shows as football matches, with the subsequent riot afterwards; I grew up in the Eighties.

When the cat's away, the mice shall play.

• The Internet became our Mums and Dad's. The whole notion of 'Children should be seen, and not heard' was taken advantage of. Mum and Dad watched TV, while kids were sucked into a vortex.

Plus, school isn't the right environment for kids. It's all about creating niche groups and cliques. Divide, and conquer.

I saw a video of toddlers denied access to their iPad. It reminded me of how berserk my brother and I were on our consoles. Even treating TV game shows as football matches, with the subsequent riot afterwards; I grew up in the Eighties.

When the cat's away, the mice shall play.

Children
No Data