Learning to Drive (& Passing!) As a mid-50s Autistic Adult

OH of 25 years died 3 years ago. Was always driven around on the rare excursions outside the home. Now realise I need to drive.

Is this realistically possible?

Anyone managed to do this - especially if you're also very bad in terms of coordination and multitasking?

• I leaned to drive in my 50s. No prob.

• Do a CBT and buy a scooter, ride it for six months as much as possible, then start your driving lessons.  Riding teaches you the road, the signs, how drivers act, how to think 10 steps ahead all the time and it gives you the general awareness and ability to function well in traffic.  It's definitely something that is worth learning before you get into cars. 

Learning to drive is one of the most stressful things I ever did in my entire life.  It was characterised by at least one meltdown every time I went on a lesson.  In the end my parents taught me and I learnt by driving a lot.  I drove my dad to his work and back, i drove him to meetings he had all over the country, in all weather conditions, night and day, busy traffic, no traffic, he basically put me through the wringer.  What it got me was 27 minor faults, but at a time when 27 minor faults was still a pass.  I took the test in my dads car. 

Nowadays it's a whole level harder.  My sister retook over 10 times before she passed.

If you can ride a scooter or motorbike for six months, you will have the road awareness down pretty perfectly and you will know all the signs and what they mean.  You will also be able to do some recon on the driving test routes at the centre you take your test at.  It's best to know all the routes, all the problems on the routes and pretty much anything else you can garner before you take the test.  Go in with as much knowledge as you can.  The main thing is just being able to ride/drive without having to worry about doing so.  If you go into the learning to drive with only a need to learn the technical side of a car, like, gears, brakes, throttle, clutch, then you are already a large way towards passing.

Anyway, a thought.

• Thank you.

However I've not started or even sought out a driving school/instructor. Just wanted some feedback to try to work out if it's a realistic endeavour or 1:1000000 pipe dream of a fool.

• I'm sorry to hear about your loss. 

Just wanted to wish you all the best for your lessons. Maybe you could have a try at one of the off road tracks that there are about. Give you a feel for it without any other vehicles about.

I am not a fan of driving but it certainly does help me to be able to drive about. I see it only as a way to get about rather than doing it for enjoyment. It would be fine if there were no other drivers  on the roads! I only drive short distances to places I know.

Best wishes,

Mrs Snooks