Pre-diagnosis

I have recently been referred by my doctor, had to fill in a tick box questionnaire then received another more in depth questionnaire from the Autism diagnosis service. I filled this out and sent it back and was just wondering how long they usually take to get back to you after this step? Thanks 

• I filled out the initial questionnaire with my counsellor, I then had to wait two years for the next one, they then immediately gave me an assessment appointment for a month later, which is now tomorrow! What happens then, I'm not sure. Whether they'll tell me tomorrow, or I have to wait for reports or other assessments, I don't know.

• Thank you so much!

• I went through Clinical Partners. The instructions of how to get referred are on this page: https://www.clinical-partners.co.uk/nhs-services/right-to-choose . I would email or call them to find out the current wait time.

• HI.  Mine was about 6mths from the tick box thing to referral.  Then within 1 month i had the first assessment.  Then i managed to get a cancellation for second assessment which was about 5 weeks later.  I have then waited for 3 weeks for feedback and the diagnosis was Autism.  That was last Wednesday

• My path is identical to VLD, the 2.5 years has given me time to process a lot of life. I email every 6 months just to check I’m still on course and haven’t been lost.

I know this is another question often raised. My assessment is being done with no parental input. I’m an adult and have a clear memory of my childhood, if they need to know something then the just have to ask me.

• About 6 months after I submitted my questionnaire,  I had a letter to say I had passed the first stage (triage). I now don't expect anything else for 2-3 years. However I now know I am "on the pathway" which is enough for me and for any of the groups and organisations. It is just accepted that there is a massive waiting list. I have accepted my Autism now and that has explained so much that I no longer doubt I am Autistic. 

I hope this helps

• Yes been referred to NHS. How did you do the right to choose? I have heard about this but I am not sure how to go through this?

• Have you been referred to an NHS service? If so I think it is area dependent. Where I live, I didn't hear anything for about 3 years and I tried to chase it and they said there was no one to do the assessment. I ended up going via the right to choose route and got seen within 3 months.