Pre-diagnosis

I have recently been referred by my doctor, had to fill in a tick box questionnaire then received another more in depth questionnaire from the Autism diagnosis service. I filled this out and sent it back and was just wondering how long they usually take to get back to you after this step? Thanks 

Parents
  • Have you been referred to an NHS service? If so I think it is area dependent. Where I live, I didn't hear anything for about 3 years and I tried to chase it and they said there was no one to do the assessment. I ended up going via the right to choose route and got seen within 3 months.

• Yes been referred to NHS. How did you do the right to choose? I have heard about this but I am not sure how to go through this?

Reply Children
  • About 6 months after I submitted my questionnaire,  I had a letter to say I had passed the first stage (triage). I now don't expect anything else for 2-3 years. However I now know I am "on the pathway" which is enough for me and for any of the groups and organisations. It is just accepted that there is a massive waiting list. I have accepted my Autism now and that has explained so much that I no longer doubt I am Autistic. 

I hope this helps