How do you cope?

I’m a recently diagnosed adult woman and was wondering what people find helps them cope the best? I’m just trying to make adjustments in my life as I’m learning more about how I struggle. Just want to see how people may cope with social communication, sensory issues, routine/changes. Etc. Any suggestions would be welcome as I’m finding it difficult to put adjustments and tools in place after going without them for years.

• i dont, i just be me and if others dont like it, which they dont, then i dont really care what others think anyway because they mean nothing to me.

alot of people likely think im ignorant or rude or a bad person, i dont talk and id likely overreact to any provocation or annoying thing in a harsh way. but i dont really care what they think as they are not in my life or that important. i can try explaining my view and side but they often wont understand and are not smart enough to follow what i say and will likely pick a word to misunderstand and take more offence at anyway lol so i dont care. i can be me, and they can be them, i think they are all weird and lacking of intellect while they can think of me as a rude bad person. they dont know me and i dont care to know them lol

• I can sense when I’m even nearing a Lush shop, every skin product I use has to be perfume and alcohol free, otherwise my skin will actually start weeping and bleeding. Martins mention of nylon is another sensory hell, when I was a child there was a big fabric company called Bentford Nylons everything was nylon, bed sheets, t-shirts ,shirts and curtains. My mother soon realised that I couldn’t even stand still in a nylon shirt.

• I’m ok with more natural scents that I actually like - such as essential oils like lavender, or mandarin for example. In fact I really like those. It’s the strong artificial smells that I can’t stand. 

• I can't go anywhere near Lush. Why can't I get a shower spay etc. without perfume. Tired face 

• Thank you for asking the question. I was going to reply by others have said all I would have said. My de-stressor are mindful walks and time alone when I have control. Thank you to all the others who answered. It has reassured me that I was on the right track.

• I’ve gone on the sick to cope

• I have YouTube channel

Exploring with Ben

• I think I do too with nylon, I remember disliking the texture when I had a T-shirt made of it when I was a child. I also remember learning at Chemistry in school that nylon got the name as it was discovered in New York and London simultaneously. I've just asked Google Gemini that and it's informed me it is 'a common misconception' (If I ever bump into my old Chemistry teacher again I'll let him know) Stuck out tongue closed eyes

• Loneliness; noone to help me with shopping; noone to help me with, well, anything that involves talking to strangers, eg reporting repairs that need doing at home, disputing incorrect bills, contacting lawyers when I'm the victim of discrimination etc; noone to help me find social opportunities and noone to go with me when I find one myself. All sorts of things really.

• I was recently diagnosed with asd and ADHD at 37, love living in north and just being in the woods in a hammock under a tarp, preferably in the rain. Totally get where your coming from Grinning 

• That sounds great - I’ve always loved the idea of wild camping but generally have stayed at campsites due to feeling a bit intimidated by the idea of wild camping. I love watching you tube videos of people wild camping though. 

• I agree that communicating with and/or reading about other autistic people is massively helpful, It helps to realise that many other people are having a similar experience and that they understand. 

• I find the smell of other peoples perfume incredibly unpleasant too - it seems so strong to me even just walking by people outside - but my husband often says he can’t smell it at all. 

• I’m not sure that I do cope to be honest! Joy
    for a lot of my life I’ve worked from home (creative work) and that’s been good for me I think. I do better in a quiet environment that I can really be myself in. I’m just not great in crowds or with lots of people in a work environment. In terms of social events etc - that’s not something I do much of - I spend most of my time with family. I lead a very quiet life and I’m happier that way. I live in the countryside and love going out for walks and visiting various places with my family to explore. 

• Sorry to read this, Mark. What makes it especially hard to cope? Hopefully, sharing your thoughts here makes life a tiny bit more tolerable.

• Congrats on being diagnosed and welcome to the community. I think this is the best resource out there when it comes to autism so I hope you will find it a good and rewarding place to be.

When it comes to finding new ways of coping I think a lot of it is trial and error, seeing what works for you. For some it's meditation, talking therapy, etc... I've found meditation works well for me. I also try to find hobbies and do things I enjoy, this also helps. Reading up on autism will be very beneficial for you, as it will hopefully explain about burnout, masking and the difficulty we have processing things. I was diagnosed in my teens and really wish I had been able to read up about it all at the time.

It's a long journey of self discovery but a rewarding one I've found.

• I agree with Martin, Out_of_Step, Neil and Ben Wales.  Between them, I have nothing to add - except to endorse their collective advice.

• Hi Pinkapple, As others have said, the most important thing is to be kind to yourself. Work out what needs changing in your life to make you happier, and work towards implementing it.

I stopped accepting social invitations if I knew I would not enjoy them and/or get overloaded. By stopping pressurising myself to "act normal" or "fit in" I became more relaxed and over the past few years have become friendly with most of the women where I work. I'm open with them about how things affect me, and surprisingly, some of them who aren't autistic have shared with me how they get anxious in certain situations, and what they find difficult to deal with. Remember that everyone has challenges in life and we are all entitled to a little empathy from others.

I have also learned to articulate how things affect me - to my partner, my colleagues, and to management at work, which improves relationships and has enabled my work environment to be changed to suit me better. I have often related back to assertiveness training I did years ago, which can help with thinking about how to request support or explain how things are negatively impacting me, so if you have never participated in assertiveness training it might be useful to look into whether this is available in your workplace or if you could do it online.

Good luck with your journey. As I read in a book recently, "we are all the same in different ways'