How do you cope?

I’m a recently diagnosed adult woman and was wondering what people find helps them cope the best? I’m just trying to make adjustments in my life as I’m learning more about how I struggle. Just want to see how people may cope with social communication, sensory issues, routine/changes. Etc. Any suggestions would be welcome as I’m finding it difficult to put adjustments and tools in place after going without them for years.

Parents
  • Hi, I was diagnosed 7 months ago as an adult and very much going through the same experience. I am still learning about the things I find hard and understanding what is going off in my brain when I experience sensory overload and I am really trying to find coping techniques myself also. The main thing I have found helpful recently is mindfulness and breathing exercises which I get on Insight Timer app currently. I am also reading a good book called Looking after your autistic self by Niamh Garvey which I am finding reallly helpful and can relate to it a lot. I recommend it as it could be useful for your situation. But honestly I know what you are going through and I am finding it a long process learning about myself and trying to find what helps me and coping techniques. Wishing you all the best on your journey to find what works and helps you.

• Hi 

I’ve read Looking after your autistic self also. Another good one!

Reply Children
No Data