How do you cope?

I’m a recently diagnosed adult woman and was wondering what people find helps them cope the best? I’m just trying to make adjustments in my life as I’m learning more about how I struggle. Just want to see how people may cope with social communication, sensory issues, routine/changes. Etc. Any suggestions would be welcome as I’m finding it difficult to put adjustments and tools in place after going without them for years.

Parents
  • Hi, I was diagnosed 7 months ago as an adult and very much going through the same experience. I am still learning about the things I find hard and understanding what is going off in my brain when I experience sensory overload and I am really trying to find coping techniques myself also. The main thing I have found helpful recently is mindfulness and breathing exercises which I get on Insight Timer app currently. I am also reading a good book called Looking after your autistic self by Niamh Garvey which I am finding reallly helpful and can relate to it a lot. I recommend it as it could be useful for your situation. But honestly I know what you are going through and I am finding it a long process learning about myself and trying to find what helps me and coping techniques. Wishing you all the best on your journey to find what works and helps you.

• Hi, I was diagnosed 7 months ago as an adult and very much going through the same experience. I am still learning about the things I find hard and understanding what is going off in my brain when I experience sensory overload and I am really trying to find coping techniques myself also. The main thing I have found helpful recently is mindfulness and breathing exercises which I get on Insight Timer app currently. I am also reading a good book called Looking after your autistic self by Niamh Garvey which I am finding reallly helpful and can relate to it a lot. I recommend it as it could be useful for your situation. But honestly I know what you are going through and I am finding it a long process learning about myself and trying to find what helps me and coping techniques. Wishing you all the best on your journey to find what works and helps you.

Children