Managing airports solo

I am having to fly independently for the first time in February. I don't mind planes but I find airports really difficult, they're noisy, involve lots of unexpected change, and I have to try and stay cognizant enough to communicate with members of staff, while also being unaware enough that I don't have a meltdown. And as it will be just me, I have to keep a level of awareness up at all times.

I'm interested to hear other peoples tips and tricks for this. I'm flying from London Stansted, their website gives me to understand that there is a quiet area in departures. Anyone know what this is like? I can't find any pictures of it which is annoying because for Eurostar they have a set of videos leading you through all the stages which I found really helpful. Is it worth booking assistance when I'm not sure I really need it? What can assistance do? Has anyone used them for autism?

Looking forward to hearing peoples experiences

• Hi, I mostly fly from Stansted now. I also find flying and airports stressful. I’m not sure if this helps but for me Stansted is actually one of the airports that I find relatively easy to navigate and manage. I never checked if there is a sensory room though. Once you get through security there is a large area with shops and cafes- it’s a bit like walking through a big corridor then it opens up to a larger area with a lot of seats in middle and shops around it. There is also a gallery. Near the seats there are boards that will display your gate shortly before your flight, so there tend to be quite a lot of people on the seats. I tend to walk around a bit while I wait- not sure if this would be something that might help? It might also be quieter in one of the cafes. Then in terms of the gates I can’t give much detail as it will depend on the exact gate. Not sure if any of this is helpful but I do find Stansted better than other airports. Also it should be quite straightforward to get to the airport by train. :) have a good trip!!

• Oh gosh yes having to walk through the perfume shop, I’m so sensitive to smell and the trendy spotlighting doesn’t help. I rush through

• Hi yes I have flown solo to America twice and I found it terrifying I flew from Heathrow my advice is try telling the staff your on the spectrum that’s what I did first time round and they let me check in and go through security early to save the stress of when it got busy later on when I got through to departures it was ok then I had a look around duty free had a nap then had a coffee. Another thing I find that helps is watching the planes taking off and landing just sitting on my own watching the planes. Hope this helps Blush

• The last time I took a flight I found the airport to be a sensory nightmare. Everything about it from the fluorescent lights, the temperature, smells (the perfume section they force you to walk through!), the noise, the large crowds. I was getting very anxious and almost had a meltdown, and then I found a totally empty part of the airport with dimmer lights.

It was basically a departure gate where no departures were happening. Occasionally a stewardess or member of staff would walk through, but apart from that, I was there by myself, reading and watching planes take off. I got there really early to avoid stress so I'm glad I found that quiet empty area to sit.

• I haven't flown since my diagnosis but I believe that airport staff are trained to recognise the sunflower lanyard and may even fast track you through security.

My usual strategy is to check in early and get through security as soon as possible. Then I don't hang around in the busy and noisy seating areas where all the shops are. I try to find an unused departure gate with an empty seating area to wait in, keeping an eye on the screens for my flight updates. Sometimes hordes of people will suddenly descend on that unused gate and I have to find somewhere else.

If I was travelling again in the future I would probably wear the lanyard and take up any special assistance offered. 

• Hi, there is an Escape Lounge, I’ve used it before, I tend to travel to the airport much earlier than needed, the lounge is about £25 but that includes food and drink, I tend to get a nice cooked breakfast and coffee. It’s very peaceful and has newspapers to read. Let the airport check-in know you are autistic, they are generally really helpful.