Communicating with neurotypicals

I used to do the whole "us vs them" thing with this, and on reflection I questioned whether this was a good idea. After all, we want them on our side.

However, I kind of get it. We are used to being "othered" and the double empathy problem exists for a reason.

I feel for me, it's almost like I'm speaking a completely different language at times, but I struggle with the translation. Even with autistic people, I may struggle with explaining what's going through my head, but it's still easier.

They're less likely to effectively shut me down and tell me to move on. I know NT's are well meaning but it couldn't be less helpful, which then leaves me feeling more ashamed and embarrassed, wishing I'd bottled it up instead. 

I feel I'd want them to try and see it from my perspective but then I feel I'm asking for too much. 

Parents
  • Quoted from a scientific study:

"Even when an autistic person is masking, non-autistic people will still rate them more harshly than non-autistic peers if they don't know they are autistic."

• Quoted from a scientific study:

"Even when an autistic person is masking, non-autistic people will still rate them more harshly than non-autistic peers if they don't know they are autistic."

Children
  • Yes, that's true. I actually think it's worse when they do know, but it's still a struggle getting things across.

In the examples I give, it couldn't be more obvious as we speak about it almost all the time.