Accents

I grew up in a fairly rough part of Glasgow and went to school with people with very thick working class Glaswegian accents, but everyone always described me as "posh". I even remember a local shopkeeper asking my mum where I was from once. I never understood how I ended up with a different accent. But it occurred to me recently that I have three cousins who are siblings and two of them have very rough accents but one sounds an awful lot like me. You wouldn't believe she was related to her siblings.

Is this an autistic thing? Or is my accent just a freak of nature?

• Monaghan and South Armagh have the same accent.

Here, in Mid Ulster, our accent is more in line with Ballymena.

I love the Derry City accent, especially the way they pronounce car. (caeur)

• I can distinguish between Aussie and New Zealand accents. NZ accent is higher pitched.

• Thanks for sharing these.

• My wife says I have a posh accent, despite me growing up in a working-class household near London. 

• Lol I love Bluey Joy We had an Australian girl at school last year, well she's still there actually but anyway I loved her voice so much I took it on as my own lolol.

• Mine's a default classic Cary Grant "mid Atlantic" accent but I also mimic as a form of social self defense. It is a form of masking I am somewhat skilled at. 

• I’ve lived 21 years in the U.K. but I still have a distinct and clear Irish accent, not attached to any particular County in Ireland or even the Dublin or Cork accents which are very strong - I’ve had a lot of compliments from my SE English friends in particular on my accent when they come up to Manchester or hear me on the phone and most people in Manchester pick up on the Irish accent very quickly - meanwhile, when I do go home to Ireland on visits, people in my home village in Ireland and in Dublin think that I have an English accent - I love the Dublin Liberties accent (for example the dealers in Moore St) and the Donegal, Cavan, Louth, Kerry & Cork accents, but I also love the Liverpool & the SE England RP accent, as well as the Cockeny (East London) accents 

• I had started talking Australian for a bit because of watching Bluey Grinning

• Based on my own and everyone else's experience I would say it's definitely an autism thing Blush 

Technically I should have an Irish accent buuttt I tend to switch too others depending who I've seen on tv or in movies lol Sweat smile 

I've been talking with an Australian accent for the last 2 months just B cause Joy if I hear a voice that's different I like to use it as well. And if I see how someone walks and acts differently I'll try to mimic that 2

• It’s always been by my opinion that the purpose of language is the efficient and accurate exchange of information.

I’ve always been perplexed by people who use language as a badge of identity or a political tool (a problem here in Scotland). A language, accent or dialect that can’t be used to communicate just seems pointless to me.

Perhaps this shapes how autistic people use language.

• I think that I have a 'generalised Northern English accent', I say path and bath with short 'A's. I can use my native accent if I want to, but it isn't my day-to-day speech. That has been RP-influenced, to some extent, as I have lost the emphatic 'U' and rhoticity of my native accent/dialect. I never use glottal stops and never use intrusive 'R' sounds - I say drawing and not drawring. My pronunciation is quite precise, possibly a bit prissy. I have been told by non-native speakers of English that I am easy to understand.

• Whenever I was a kid, my Teachers thought I was English; accent I picked up from TV.

Now I have a, relatively, colloquial accent. But love doing other accents. I have imaginary sketches in my head, based on experiences of other accents. My favourite is the Canadian Accent.

• Yeah - as Debbie says, seems to be an autistic thing. I learned this from Debbie's thread! Blush

I ought to have a Lowlands accent like everyone else in my family. Even my brother, who was non- verbal as a young child acquired one. 

Not me, I suspect mine came from the tv.... 

For whatever reason. 

• Thats interesting. I know I dont have a usual accent for my area but I dont know what accent I have. My sister just says I invented my own lol. My mom does say that I sound british when im angry though Thinking

• can sometimes speak like a ‘little professor

Ha ha - this was definitely me when I was <10 years old.

The child’s articulation can be age appropriate but can be unusual in being almost

over-precise. The word may be pronounced as it is written rather than spoken: the child

One of the things I did very consciously and deliberately in my late teens was change the way I speak to sound more colloquial because I realised I talked very formally in grammatically precise sentences. 

• Here is a link to the thread I created:

https://community.autism.org.uk/f/adults-on-the-autistic-spectrum/34017/words-language-as-an-autistic-person/325716#325716

and here is the section from Tony Attwood's book I quoted from:

Hans Asperger eloquently described an unusual profile of language abilities that

included problems with conversation skills, the ‘melody’ or flow of speech, and an

unusual developmental history for language such as the early or late development of

speech. He also described a tendency for some young children to talk like an adult with

an advanced vocabulary and to use quite complex sentences.

The child may develop an impressive vocabulary that includes technical

terms (often related to a special interest) and expressions more often associated with the

speech of an adult than a child. The child can sometimes speak like a ‘little professor’

and entrance someone with a well-practised monologue on a favourite topic. However,

when this characteristic occurs in an adolescent it can be a contributory factor for social

exclusion.

The child’s articulation can be age appropriate but can be unusual in being almost

over-precise. The word may be pronounced as it is written rather than spoken: the child

learned language more by reading than from listening. There may be stress on specific

syllables that changes the expected pronunciation. I have observed that for some young

children with Asperger’s syndrome, the development of language appears to rely less on

conversation with family and peers and more on what is absorbed from television

programmes and films. Often the young child with Asperger’s syndrome pronounces the

word with the accent of the person whom he or she heard first say the word.

Thisexplains the tendency for some young children with Asperger’s syndrome in the United

Kingdom and Australia to speak with an American accent. Their vocabulary and pro-

nunciation of words was developed by watching television rather than talking to people

and especially by watching cartoons and films that use American actors and voices. This

characteristic can be quite conspicuous when other family members have the local

accent, but the child with Asperger’s syndrome talks as though he or she is a foreigner

• Is this an autistic thing

Yes.

I posted about this once before on this forum and managed to find a screenshot of what I'd read in a book.

I'm the same as you.

I was brought up in the poorest area of Portsmouth and everyone I went to school with had Pompey accents.

I haven't and nor did my mother, who I believe was autistic.

I was called 'posh' too.

Another thing: I have had lots of people over the years ask me where I am from ranging from Scotland to Scandi countries.

I will interrogate my mental database and try to remember the thread that was on.