Assessment

Hi all,

I have my autism assessment this week. I am in my late 50's. Any advice would be very welcome! Heart

• Make sure you feel as comfortable and calm as possible - wear your favourite clothes, get rested, eat etc. Go into it as relaxed as possible so you feel able to engage and talk.

It was important for me to get an authentic answer, I even told them that on my form, so I wasn't looking to tick all the boxes, what does that achieve?

As people say, just be yourself. Any traits will reveal themselves. I realised immediately that my assessor was quick to manage me if she thought she'd hit a nerve so I don't think she needed to see any kind of extremes, she needed me to be able to talk.

Good luck.

• I would not google the test and what they ask you to do, and go into it with no idea about what they will ask. That way how you respond to the tasks will be more authentic. If I did my assessment again, i would have a list of reasons why I felt I was autistic so I could refer to them. My mind often goes blank and when I reflect I often think what I should have said. My assessment was on zoom if that helps.

• On the other hand, I do not automatically trust clinicians. Therefore, I did huge amounts of homework on all the diagnostic criteria and made sure that I had traits and incidents to tick off all the required ones. If you are a fundamentally untrusting sort of soul, like me, this approach may suit you better. I think, largely on the strength of my written history, I was quite quickly told I would be getting a diagnosis, during the clinical interview.

• Be yourself and tell the truth...... it's as simple as that..... let them see you in the raw.  

Hoping it goes well,

Ben