Psychiatry UK

Has anyone had any negative experiences with Psychaitry UK for an ASD assessment? 

I have been told I am not autistic and I disagree with this. I fully 100% believe that I am autistic and have previously scored very high on multiple tests. The problem was that I struggled to think on the spot with some of the questions and felt quite rushed through out. I don't know whether to go privately or whether I should try and fight their decision? I need advice please. 

• I am awaiting for an NHS appointment for ADHD I was going to ask if anyone had been seen via Psychiatry UK for ADHD. 

I had my autism assessment via Clinical Partners in August.

• so its a private one through the nhs that you got sent to and that one did the negative result?
    yeah i can feel ya on the wait, ive been waiting 4 to 5 years now myself... but 3 of those years was because my gp didnt send the referal and kept it on their files, so i think my wait time got reset so im officially now only a few months waiting in que now despite having been 3 years waiting since i asked my gp.

• I should have been more clear. I was referred by the NHS through right to choose to axia ASD as I'd been waiting 5yrs already on the local NHS list. I didn't pay for it, it was NHS. 

• i wouldnt ever go private due to the fact imagine if you paid 2000 or more and yet they still say no and your not happy but this time you have spent 2k for that.

id ask for reasons why they said you dont meet the criteria.... then if your not happy id perhaps look at all the other things with overlapping asd traits and consider whether you could perhaps have any of the many other things that overlap and go for diagnosis for any of those. it might be you was slightly out, but that slightly out put you in another thing instead.

• I used axia ASD for autism dx of that's helpful. She said she knew within 5 minutes I was Autistic. The interview was a couple of hours

• ADHD assessment, not ASD. They didn't offer ASD at the time. For me they were really good, and verbally confirmed autism writing on the letter that I needed officially assessing. If, for example, you feel they didn't understand because you're female and they didn't ask questions relevant to you then it's worth appealing. A friend paid for assessment and still got told no the clinician was old school and thought girls couldn't be autistic, she's got a refund and is waiting for the NHS now cos she can't be stressed with it all again. 

• My experience with them wasn't exactly negative in that I was diagnosed, but then I wasn't necessarily insisting on it. I was more concerned that they didn't give me a diagnosis because they thought it was what I wanted to hear. I needed it to be a real outcome.

However, I was a bit puzzled by the assessment interview and upset by a couple of things said (though I think that was more because of being autistic and taking the assessor's 'jokes' seriously - at least I think she was joking because she was laughing!) I also got quite annoyed because most of it seemed to be asking me the same questions as were on the self-assessment form, so I was repeating things I'd written there. I don't know whether she was testing to make sure I was the one who'd written the form, but there were only a couple of times I felt like I'd had to respond more spontaneously. I didn't have a problem with that, if anything it felt more genuine. I thought the whole conversation was going to be more in depth I guess. There were lots of times she cut me off when I was about to say more, and I came away worrying that I hadn't shown just how much I'm affected by my condition.

Did you say a lot on your form? I get the impression that they go off of that mainly as it tells them so much more than an hour long video call ever could. It took me about six weeks to complete as I wrote in as much detail about all my life memories and things I do now, being completely honest rather than trying to fit an autistic box. I really just talked openly to give an impression of who I am and I wanted to know whether that made me autistic or not. I needed to know where to go. I think the assessor had maybe decided already from what I'd written, so she just needed to double check that I was genuine. I didn't have anyone to back up my childhood memories in particular so it was really important to write a lot about that.

I have just sent a note to the assessor as I have been fretting since that I said I sleep okay when I don't. The question came towards the end of the session when I'd had enough of questions and I'd just slept well for two nights, so I said 'yes'. But I want my report to be correct so I've told her hoping it isn't too late. I kind of expect they won't use it because I think everything is on a timeframe and budget and I have my diagnosis. I guess it is always worth trying to argue your case though, but if you don't get an answer then going private if that's an option for you. No harm in asking, or maybe go back to the GP??

• TBH no, but then I haven't seen them yet and I already have a diagnosis for autism, it's an ADHD assessment I'm waiting on. Hopefully someone with the answers you seek will see this and reply shortly tho.

• I presume that you have had an NHS assessment? A bit more information would help.