The Sunday Roast

I’m most probably just venting, the Spector of the Sunday roast looms most weeks. I personally find the Whole experience really daunting. 
The morning has the prep for something I don’t want to eat. I then tend to spend most of the afternoon cooking a  meat that I really can’t tolerate, the smallest amount of fat makes me gag. The childhood thing of the forced roast is a horrible memory.

I get told off for being controlling and making ‘this autism thing, all about me’. I would rather have an omelette for dinner, done in 10 minutes . I’ve been quiet for 50 years, right from childhood, I’m only 2 years in from realising I’m autistic and can’t keep quiet anymore. Food to me is a minefield or a mindfield My youngest son was asked today if he wanted roast, his answer was no, I hate it, I’m going out with my girlfriend for a Chinese meal, he doesn’t get  told off. I get that I should try to fit in. It sounds weird but my autistic behaviour is something I can’t stop, it’s like finally realising who I am.  To me the realisation of autism has been like a phoenix rising from the ashes, I know that’s a terrible cliche. Sorry just venting.

• We have roast ocasionally but only in the winter. It completely baffles me why brits have to have a roast when on holiday and its 30oC outside. I like the roast spuds, stuffing, and thats about it. When I was a kid we didn't have much money and my parents always had poor cuts of meat and poor cooking skills. It put me off non processed meat, will eat a burger but not a steak. I also don't get being forced to have roast at Christmas? We will go out with the inlaws on 24th and I will have a burger, everybody else will have roast.On xmas day we will be having a curry. 

• I adore nothing more than a good, proper Sunday roast. But I tend to find that doing it all just for me is a bit of a waste and feels a bit greedy. So I like to eat it at a good pub, or if someone else is making it. 

it sounds like someone is making you do this and that isn't fair. They can make their own roast if that's what they want, rather than you slaving away all day at something you don't even want! 

• One of the biggest improvements to my quality of life in terms of being single is how easy food is now. I cook the same easy meal every day and don't have to care what anyone thinks of it.

You should implement a house rule that everyone prepares their own food. I wish I did that years ago.

• It hardly even matters about if it's linked to autism. You're an adult and the idea that you should spend hours cooking a meal you don't want is mad.

Unless your kids love roast dinners and you really want to please them, if someone else demands a roast they can cook it themselves. 

• I was forced to eat a badly cooked Sunday roast every Sunday as a kid and I hated it too. I was forced to sit at the table until my plate was empty, regardless of whether or not I was full and if I failed to eat it I'd be given it the next day for breakfast. As a result, the idea of having one now as a adult makes me want to run away and hide. So I completely understand. I'm grateful that my fiance gets it and is happy to eat something else, today he made us a home cooked Chinese dish. 

Your autism isn't a thing you use to "make it all about you." It's a fundamental part of who you are and it impacts your daily life greatly and I'm saddened to read that those around you seemingly don't understand this and don't allow you the space to discover who you are in this new identity because that is what you deserve. 

• I tend to get a Sunday Lunch from the local Spar; Hot Food Counter. There's no way I could make my own Roast. Though, I can slow-cook chicken.

• ahhh i never got this myself... because i have no one so i dont need to make a sunday roast or anything because its just me.
    when i lived at parents i had whatever they made for me if they made anything but they never stuck to a sunday roast, my mum made lots of curry meals and the thing i hated most was the casserole she made as it had lots of onion and weird bland things which i think was barley maybe? .... either way that was bland, but she tweaked that and its now decent as i mentioned how the onion and barley felt bland lol

but i live in my own place now so have whatever i want.... id kinda like a sunday roast tbh i live the meat potato and gravy, nice warm hearty meal. but suppose depends who makes it and how well its made.