Neurotypical Peers are Less Willing to Interact with Those with Autism based on Thin Slice Judgments

So I was reading the study in the title, found here: https://www.nature.com/articles/srep40700

Here are a few quotes:

we find that first impressions of individuals with ASD ... are not only far less favorable across a range of trait judgments compared to controls, but also are associated with reduced intentions to pursue social interaction. These patterns are remarkably robust, occur within seconds, do not change with increased exposure, and persist across both child and adult age groups

How people respond to unfamiliar individuals prior to social interaction is governed in large part by first impressions, which are near instantaneous judgments of personality and character traits based upon “thin slices” of information... negative first impressions often prompt rejection or avoidance behaviors. For individuals with ASD, negative perceptions may relate to the social exclusion they frequently experience

there is some evidence in the literature that the movement patterns of individuals with ASD are atypical and may represent a salient cue of awkwardness

This is really unfair and there is nothing we can do about it. People make judgements about us so quickly based solely on appearance (photos and videos) and neurotypical people consistently rated autistic people lower on the following:

• desire to hangout with
  • desire to sit next to
  • desire to talk to
  • desire to live near
  • attractiveness
  • dominance
  • likeableness
  • smartness
  • How approachable is this person?
  • Would I see myself being friends with person?

And Autistic people were rated significantly higher on awkwardness. This based only on videos or even a static image! When people were shown only a transcript of the speech, autistic people were not rated worse. So these are snap judgements people make based on non-verbal information and appearance, and they do not change their mind once the judgement is made.

What can we even do about this? It would seem it's not even conscious behaviour in neurotypical people, they just get this automatic instant gut feeling that there is something "off" about autistic people when they see them.

• I have observed people often take a lot of things in life very personally. 

• Yes this is definitely something I experience. People often interpret my body language and the fact that I don't go to social focused events (like pub trips) as a sign that I hate them, or that I think I'm better than them. 

Interestingly, this means that telling people I'm autistic is often the best option, because otherwise they come up with their own conclusions as to my behaviour. 

• What can we even do about this?

I guess 'masking' and 'camouflaging' would be the answer. The more you look and act allistic, the more acceptable you will be to allistic people. I searched the article and there is no mention of masking or camouflaging at all. It would be interesting if someone were to investigate how great is the impact of compensatory behaviour by autistics on allistic perceptions.

• I've experienced this too and spent most of my life not knowing why.

It links in with this other recent study about the abuse and victimisation that autistic people have experienced, often from professionals (e.g. the police or a therapist / mental health support worker). 

https://www.sunderland.ac.uk/more/news/story/new-report-finds-widespread-abuse-of-autistic-people-1931?

"Autistic people are stigmatised at both a group level, due to negative perceptions of autism, and at the individual level for failing to meet normal expectations.
    The report’s key findings found that victimisation was viewed as a ‘normal’ part of life and had come to be expected. Autistic people were treated as ‘other’ throughout their lives regardless of whether they were formally diagnosed as autistic."
  • As for me, I have no idea how much neurotypicals may judge me, but I am inclined to think this is something ASD males are likely to experience more than females. I'm basing this on the fact that people generally seem more willing to approach me than my son.

It might be the case. I have a straggly beard and not the most eclectic fashion sense. I've convinced myself I make others uncomfortable - although admittedly I have also said things which have done the same.

I can be very awkward when out in public, I can freeze up and I don't think that helps.

• I'll be honest and admit that as an autistic person, I do make snap judgments about other people. Not about whether I think they may or may not be autistic though because there is no way of knowing that just from looking at a person.

What I'm referring to here are people I encounter outside my home. I live in an area that is a hot spot for knife crimes that can occur in broad daylight. Whilst I know one shouldn't stereotype people, if I encounter someone that is dressed a certain way and looks decidedly dodgy to me, then my immediate reaction is to want to steer clear of them and give them a wide berth. It's entirely possible they may well be autistic too, and also completely harmless.

My son is 29, and although not diagnosed, he has autistic traits. He finds that when people encounter him, they will often give him a wide berth. I think this is partly because of his height and the clothing he wears, and also because his facial expression can send out the wrong signals and make him seem angry and unapproachable.

As for me, I have no idea how much neurotypicals may judge me, but I am inclined to think this is something ASD males are likely to experience more than females. I'm basing this on the fact that people generally seem more willing to approach me than my son.

• Yeah, I've experienced this. I've also seen people's attitudes towards me switch completely as soon as a bit of autism comes out (and I'm visibly struggling with something).

I'm just straight-up about the fact I'm autistic in those kinds of environments now. Helped by the fact I have a sunflower lanyard, but I'd rather get that part out of the way. If I know someone's going to have an issue, I'd rather know sooner than later.