Constant feeling on verge of meltdown

Lately, the last 3 or 4 days, I have had the feeling of being on the edge of a meltdown and nothing I do works to calm me down, I need some help!!!

I am wearing the loops I have more than ever, clothes are irritating me and even the clothes that I find normally really comfortable are irritating me. 

Can anyone suggest something to help?

• Sorry to hear you have been feeling this way. Sounds really scary and exhausting. Did your feeling improve slightly in the past few days ?

I have only had those kinds of feelings for a few hours at a time, 48h tops, so I'm not sure if it is quite the same thing. Here is what usually helps me (neither of those options sound healthy. I know. But they help me get through the day. And help the feeling go away much, much faster. That way I can analyze what could have been the cause later, with a clear head, to prevent it from happening next time.)

1) to escape reality. Some people manage to escape reality with music, movies, hobbies, getting lost in the forest etc. I like to escape reality by using some mind exercise (similar to what's referred as "safe space") where I disconnect from reality and live in a world of my own. I stay there until the feeling is over or until I pass out.

2) wear myself out physically. I exercise until I feel dizzy enough that this feeling tunes out.

Those were just my two cents. Hope you feel better !

• Are you able to work out the triggers? If I'm lucky enough to have some executive functioning available I can write down the events of the day and highlight where I started to get overwhelmed then plot out some of the others triggers.

For example for me every morning is the same. 2hrs of really bad dysregulation and then it's like a switch flips and I'm reasonable again. 

One morning I came up with the idea of investigating the situation like a science project. I did a body scan and realised I'm in a lot of pain all the time, but it's worse in the mornings. I just don't recognise it. I looked at my watch and the sleep records and realised I'm not relaxing in sleep and often wake up directly from REM which explains why I can't quite tell what's real some mornings. I thought about my toilet practices and realised needing a poo makes me really dysregulated(!) 

This is a new journey for me but so far I've started a routine of taking pain killers in bed and not getting up for an hour, then going to the bathroom. By then the pain relief has kicked in and I'm more with it, and the 2hr hell window isn't quite so bad. 

It's kinda weird writing that down. I hope the idea helps at least! 

• Have you identified the root cause of the current anxiety levels?

In your current situation I think locating this and dealing with it (if possible) is your most effective way forward to let the anxiety subside and your meltown to avert.

You may also want to consider some self medication to de-stress. Ask the local pharmacy for recommendations for different levels of relaxation medication. They may suggest anything from herbal tea to drugs.

Just know that medication is only a sticking plaster for the problem until you deal with the root cause of the issue, so don't use them for long.

If this isn't enough then it may be worth asking your GP for something stronger.