Text etiquette

I used to be worse with this, but it's interesting how sending follow-up emails is a generally more accepted activity than follow-up texts.

Okay, they are extremely different and come with different levels of expectation, but I think it was always difficult for me to read whether it's acceptable or not.

I don't always know if someone has genuinely forgotten to reply, or they really don't want to. I did used to message quite repeatedly and within a short space of time which I wouldn't do now. 

There has been a few cases where, through not responding, the other person didn't feel like they wanted to be friends anymore and it took me raising it. But I think that's more down to something lacking between us two where the other person didn't feel comfortable speaking up.

It's difficult when you really do need a response because you're planning something and you need to buy tickets or whatever so it's a tricky balance.

Parents
  • Follow up emails are absolutely fine whereas follow up texts and messages are deemed as creepy, harassing and may result in a restraining order. Or is that just me? Grin

For me it is like using this community and as Roy said, depending how I am feeling energy wise is if I'll be able to reply quickly or at all. My sister was the same, she was also autistic.

• Not just you. I mean I get it, it would be a problem if I followed up on an email every single day. Unless it was super important.

I think I could have purposely held off a bit longer. Even if I am lucky enough to be on my phone at the time to respond instantly it probably is a bit off-putting.

• A lot of it depends on the person as well. Some people love to reply instantly and don't have a problem whereas for others it can be off putting. I can reply but will tire after a while. My sister used to be able to reply with no problem until she got sick.

• I think a lot of it came from my own insecurities

absolutely I relate to that.. insecurities can be a big factor in these things and often affects the outcome.

The good news is you now have experience and will be more prepared for the next time. There's always a silver lining in the dark clouds.Smiley

• Yeah. I regret not just being honest. I was scared and embarrassed of how they'd react rather than doing what's best.

I think a lot of it came from my own insecurities.

• If in doubt always ask a question and share your concerns. Questions are free and it never hurts to ask. By asking you would know and generally most people prefer you to be honest with them and air any concerns.

• If in doubt always ask a question and share your concerns. Questions are free and it never hurts to ask. By asking you would know and generally most people prefer you to be honest with them and air any concerns.

Children
  • I think a lot of it came from my own insecurities

absolutely I relate to that.. insecurities can be a big factor in these things and often affects the outcome.

The good news is you now have experience and will be more prepared for the next time. There's always a silver lining in the dark clouds.Smiley

• Yeah. I regret not just being honest. I was scared and embarrassed of how they'd react rather than doing what's best.

I think a lot of it came from my own insecurities.