Text etiquette

I used to be worse with this, but it's interesting how sending follow-up emails is a generally more accepted activity than follow-up texts.

Okay, they are extremely different and come with different levels of expectation, but I think it was always difficult for me to read whether it's acceptable or not.

I don't always know if someone has genuinely forgotten to reply, or they really don't want to. I did used to message quite repeatedly and within a short space of time which I wouldn't do now. 

There has been a few cases where, through not responding, the other person didn't feel like they wanted to be friends anymore and it took me raising it. But I think that's more down to something lacking between us two where the other person didn't feel comfortable speaking up.

It's difficult when you really do need a response because you're planning something and you need to buy tickets or whatever so it's a tricky balance.

Parents
  • Follow up emails are absolutely fine whereas follow up texts and messages are deemed as creepy, harassing and may result in a restraining order. Or is that just me? Grin

For me it is like using this community and as Roy said, depending how I am feeling energy wise is if I'll be able to reply quickly or at all. My sister was the same, she was also autistic.

• Follow up emails are absolutely fine whereas follow up texts and messages are deemed as creepy, harassing and may result in a restraining order. Or is that just me? Grin

For me it is like using this community and as Roy said, depending how I am feeling energy wise is if I'll be able to reply quickly or at all. My sister was the same, she was also autistic.

Children
  • Not just you. I mean I get it, it would be a problem if I followed up on an email every single day. Unless it was super important.

I think I could have purposely held off a bit longer. Even if I am lucky enough to be on my phone at the time to respond instantly it probably is a bit off-putting.