Newly Diagnosed

I am a 27 year old female that has only received been diagnosed with ASD (I also have a lot of anxiety). It came as a bit of a shock, but from reading my report I feel I want to try and get out more and try to feel more comfortable with who I am. However, I am really struggling to find any ASD friendly groups for adults, everything seems to be for children and young adults. I was wondering if other people have the same issue or if anyone has any suggestions? I’m in the East Midlands area. 

• Hi yes as SaraMod says there are local branches of the National Autistic Society.  Also do you know of meetup.com.  There are in person and online meetings which can be accessed by groups on the site. There is an Autism East Midlands group, link below.  Also there is a West Midlands group which people from other parts of the country can attend.  Also if you don’t mind or like zoom meets I have been on some from other countries and found the experience good. Can give you more info if you want. Has been really good to chat with all kinds of people on the spectrum.

www.meetup.com/.../

• Hi and welcome to the family :-) 

Unfortunately there's very little support out there for adults with autism - so far I've found this forum is the best place for support

So you might want to stick around here it's a really supportive and helpful place to be ^^

Give yourself time there's no right or wrong way to feel after the diagnosis. Take it one day at a time and be kind to yourself

Best wishes - Goosey x

• Hi There! You may be interested in contacting a local National Autistic Society branch. Our branches offer support to local autistic people and their families. If you interesting in checking if there is a local branch near to you, please follow the link below: 

https://www.autism.org.uk/what-we-do/local-branches 

Our branches are volunteer-led, and as such every branch and group is different. Some are parent support groups, some provide support and information to autistic adults, while others have office premises and run their own a drop-in service. You will need to check with a branch directly for more information on whether they are able to provide a particular service that you are interested in. 

Best,

SaraMod