Favourite School Subject.

For me it has always been History, it’s just always, ‘ lit my fuse’, I get absorbed into it. Any era or event is just interesting. I had some good teachers at school who made a difference. My maths teacher, was brilliant, but history has always won. What became your lifetime subject and that one teacher who made a difference.

• Mine was a triad: Biology, History and Eng. lit. depending on which year it was. I came top of the top set in History for three years, then for O level we did the economic and social history option and I had zero interest in railway acts, Chartism and good old Turnip Townshend. For A levels I chose a science route. I liked Art, but couldn't see any paying future in it, so dropped it at 14 years of age.

• Mine was always English! I have been in love with words for as long as I can remember and I was 13 when I had my first poem published! Smiley 

• I would love to speak better Italian, Italy is my favourite place to visit.  I did try to learn but have a problem with retention, I normally go into a shop, anxiety, panic and then ask for something in Italian, French and Spanish, this can all be in he same sentence. The shop assistant then normally grins and answers me in English!

• I love writing essays so I quite liked RE, History, English and Business.

I love analysing patterns and translations so I really enjoyed Italian and French, I have an A Level in Italian. Also as part of the A Level, I learnt loads about Italian culture and history.

• Pink Anderson & Floyd Council never invented anything as interesting as the Spinning Jenny.  Stuck out tongue winking eye

• I had no idea Jethro Tull was a person! Next you'll be telling me Pink Floyd invented the cotton jenny :P

• My favourite subject at school was the same one that became my lifetime subject- biology. I'm still in that field now.

Funnily enough though, the teacher who really made a difference for me was actually my drama teacher. She encouraged me to be my weird self and other adults in my life began to notice the difference that made to my confidence.

• I systematically worked through the text books and got a grade  A.

It's brilliant that you overcame it in such a way.

• I wanted to study for a French degree but the teacher was awful and only covered half the A level syllabus which I only knew upon opening the exam paper.

I had a similar experience with my A level pure maths with statistics.  The first statistics teacher was awful, she only covered 25% of the syllabus and gave up.  Her replacement only covered 50% and gave up.  I systematically worked through the text books and got a grade  A.

• Mine were English and French.

I wanted to study for a French degree but the teacher was awful and only covered half the A level syllabus which I only knew upon opening the exam paper.

That's the nearest I've ever come to fainting (despite being in an RTA).

I couldn't study English at degree level for personal reasons.

that one teacher who made a difference.

Sadly, none.

What became your lifetime subject

I'm unsure that English is this, although I did write poetry for decades, but it just stopped in my head.

It used to be an uncontrollable thing, where the words would enter my head and I'd have to write them down on whatever piece of paper was handy.

Nice thread Blush

• How can Jethro Tull be boring? His seed drill revolutionised crop planting. Grimacing

• Mine was ICT as been using computers since I was 5 years old. Self taught.

• I'm interested in history but the way it's treated in school is terrible. 10,000 years of human civilisation and they chose the bloody agricultural revolution to teach us. And I have a lot of trouble concentrating so long essay subjects like that were a recipe for Ds and Es.

The only subjects I really enjoyed were sciences and languages. French and German were things I was actually good at. 

• Mine was always Maths, my weakest was English literature.

I enjoyed reading works of fiction in my own time, I just hated writing essays in school on subjects the school chose.