Drowning Not Waving

Hi

Since my diagnosis about 10 years ago (as a mature adult), none of my close relatives, (including those that are now deceased, my own mother for example), have ever engaged with me on being autistic. The few that are still alive will not even say the word, and have never said it, not once. They ignore the whole thing. I only communicate by email nowadays due to a number of problems, and if I mention how my autism is affecting me in some way, or some aspect of it, even just in passing, they wholesale ignore it, like I never said anything! I find this just bizarre.

I also find this to provoke a number of things, I find it pretty hurtful, confusing, depressing & insulting to be honest. But there's not much I can do about it. I either accept this dynamic, or have no contact at all (from their end).

Has anyone experienced similar? Or experiencing similar? I'd be interested to hear.

Good wishes

Parents
  • Hello LongFerret.

Yes, everything you have written above is my life experience too.  I have made peace with it - as a fact of my life.....along with autism.  I do mention my "differences in mode of thinking, perception and communication" when it is pertinent to do so, but I choose not to mention autism at those times because it would not help to convey the important message I am divulging at those times.

Unlike you, I do not generally find it hurtful, upsetting, depressing nor confusing that my particular challenges and reality are not regularly name-checked with autism.  I do not wish to discuss my autism with people who cannot understand......I have this place for that sustenance, understanding, advice support and companionship.

• Hello LongFerret.

Yes, everything you have written above is my life experience too.  I have made peace with it - as a fact of my life.....along with autism.  I do mention my "differences in mode of thinking, perception and communication" when it is pertinent to do so, but I choose not to mention autism at those times because it would not help to convey the important message I am divulging at those times.

Unlike you, I do not generally find it hurtful, upsetting, depressing nor confusing that my particular challenges and reality are not regularly name-checked with autism.  I do not wish to discuss my autism with people who cannot understand......I have this place for that sustenance, understanding, advice support and companionship.

Children
  • I understand what you're saying Number, however, to my mind, the problem is that you can't choose your family, in other words you're stuck with them, and this means you're constantly trying to find a path through somehow, unless you simply cut them out of your life for good, but that is a very hard road. (One which I did try to stick with for many years).

I don't really know how a person would, make peace with it.

Also, I deliberately mention to them about autism, if it happens to come up for me. It took five hard years to get my diagnosis on top of a long long time in and out of MH services & I'm not going to suppress or deny who I am.

In some respects I am stuck accepting them for who they are, even though they won't accept me for who I am.