How important is routine to you?

Hello, hello,

I ask this, as, until recently I never realised how important my routines are to me. I've spent the first 20 years of my life sticking to the same things, same foods, same drinks, same shops and yet this morning when it came to buttering my toast an awful realisation fell upon me.

THERE WAS A DIFFERENT BUTTER TO THE ONE I'VE BEEN BUYING FOR YEARS!!!!!!

Noooooooo.

How could this happen?

I applied the INFERIOR IMPOSTER butter to a slice of toast but it was no good. I couldn't bring myself to try it. I was gagging, hands shaking.

I ended up in tears. Neurotypicals would surely think this is pathetic but I know my Neurokin will understand this horribly horrid situation.

Someone in my brain, one of the Mini Misters will be for the chop for allowing this to happen!

Sigh.

This is going to take the rest of the day to get over. I've not had any breakfast, the wrong butter is in the bin never to see the light of day again and now one must face the shops, and, buy the RIGHT butter.

Until this terrible ordeal I did not realise how much my routines mattered to Moi.

Parents
  • Routine is very important to me. At least in its broadest sense: I like a standard working day, as 'cookie cutter' as possible. Staff away days, big meetings, etc - I can't wait to get them out of the way whereas many others look forward to the disruption to the normal rhythms of the familiar tasks, shape to the day etc,

I need a certain amount of guaranteed downtime after work, with a nice familiar pattern to things. While occasional nights out with friends for a quietish meal or something are fun (though my batteries will be extremeley flat afterwards), sudden spontaneous 'I have a spare ticket for something tomorrow, wanna go?' stuff is not something I'm comfortable with and the old fight or flight mode gets instantly engaged when such blindsiding if well-intended moments come up. My small number of friends and family kind of know I'm not Mr Spontaneous anyway, so those really are rare thankfully.

As for food items, I'm not too easily thrown by a different type of spreadable butter or something. Though I do tend to stick to the same grocery order each week, and some things like Soya milk have to be particular brands so that I don't have to taste weird additives that would make tea undrinkable.  

• Routine is very important to me. At least in its broadest sense: I like a standard working day, as 'cookie cutter' as possible. Staff away days, big meetings, etc - I can't wait to get them out of the way whereas many others look forward to the disruption to the normal rhythms of the familiar tasks, shape to the day etc,

I need a certain amount of guaranteed downtime after work, with a nice familiar pattern to things. While occasional nights out with friends for a quietish meal or something are fun (though my batteries will be extremeley flat afterwards), sudden spontaneous 'I have a spare ticket for something tomorrow, wanna go?' stuff is not something I'm comfortable with and the old fight or flight mode gets instantly engaged when such blindsiding if well-intended moments come up. My small number of friends and family kind of know I'm not Mr Spontaneous anyway, so those really are rare thankfully.

As for food items, I'm not too easily thrown by a different type of spreadable butter or something. Though I do tend to stick to the same grocery order each week, and some things like Soya milk have to be particular brands so that I don't have to taste weird additives that would make tea undrinkable.  

Children
No Data