Employment

What jobs do people have? If any. 

• I don't work rn but I do videos on YT and that is earning me a little if that counts. 

• That sounds cool! Do you get to work outside a lot? I definitely agree, working freelance/self employed is definitely much more comfortable for me, too!

• I work as a freelance gardener handyman. It requires little social interaction and means I'm working on my own which suits me best. 

• I worked for 34 years in biomedical research in universities, but took early retirement in 2020.

• Want something simple, stress free and without early starts, maybe a cafe job or retail

I wish you all the best with that. Moving to a new location has got to be one of the most stressful events on top of seeking suitable employment you feel comfortable with---good luck.

• I am a photocopier engineer, mostly working in schools. Always been in a IT repair/build job since I left school. Have never had a career , just bumbled along doing this. No I am 53 I have really had enough, I hate it, would love to retire. It is not just this job but any job really, it is all a massive struggle. However in 18 months we are relocating  to a much cheaper area so will have no debts and mortgage and I will just need to work to pay for the basics. Want something simple, stress free and without early starts, maybe a cafe job or retail as have never worked in anything like that. 

• Like so many people here , I have struggled to find and stay in work. I was forced in to self employment by the job center but was paid less than the minimum wage. I  have dyscalculia so it was a disaster trying to keep producing invoices. Now I am happy volunteering litter picking and had a nice day out today in the sun for once. Four bags of litter collected so am happy.  

• I had electro/mechanical skills allowing me to work on my own. After three redundancies I decided to get out as a hands on engineering fitter. This was/is a dieing sector when compared to the service sector. This was problematic for me lacking in face to face engagement skills necessary to deal with the public or B2B.  After some considerable time pondering this I decided to buy a new franchise offering a simple tree stump grinding service to all economic sectors using a diesel powered self propelled tree stump grinder.  This was solitary work as a "one man band" owner-operator enabling me to use my skills for any repairs or maintenance to the machine. My exposure to customers was minimal. After one initial four year franchised contract I provided this service over the following 20+ years on my own into my 70's. I had serviced a broad spectrum of customers ranging from HM at Sandringham to council estates. It had been quite an experience. I must emphasise I was always in a fortunate position as an employee to be productive working on my own as a fitter in various industries. Yes, there are always groupies in any organisation, but I didn't mind being the odd one out. My boss was the only one I needed to be concerned with,---and I rarely saw him.  Now that I'm retired I busy myself in my shed rarely finding a need to venture out into town or for that matter anywhere else.  I am considered the town's pariah but that's ok with me I have nothing to prove to enyone.

• Great choice of top 3 books, Terry Pratchett and Stephen King are classics.

I quite like Matt Haig, I particularly like his books The Humans (very much autistic coded) and The Midnight Library.

I don’t think I have 3 favourite books, I have not been reading recently.

Did you know that the NAS run online book club branch for autistics? It may interest you:

https://www.autism.org.uk/what-we-do/branches/book-club-online-branch

• After being dismissed from every job I've ever had - from professional (STEM degree related) jobs to lesser ones - I've not worked for 4 years now. Maybe I'll never work again. Autistics are workplace punchbags (for everyone).

• Thank you. I like fiction, autobiographical and history genres most. 

I think my top three is To Kill A Mocking Bird by Harper Lee, Small Gods by Terry Pratchett and Under The Dome by Stephen King.

What are your top three favourite books?

Do you have a favourite author? My favourites are Terry Pratchett and Stephen King.

• Thanks for all your responses. I’m currently a teacher but really struggling. 

• I work as a play room assistant at Ladybirds nursery. It's challenging but fun. I love the children, playing with them and having a blast Blush

• I write technical documentation for a medical device company. Basically I sit at a desk in my house and fill out complicated paperwork for 37 hours a week. I quite like it, especially now that I work from home and don't have to sit under fluorescent lights pretending to be normal all day!

• I'm ok thanks for asking. Things are better and I've got a good team looking out for me.

Good.

I hope you are able to return to library work what is your favourite genre of books?

Top 3 favourite books?

I like reading too, particularly memoirs by other autistic people. Sometimes I like reading Matt Haig’s fiction, he is also autistic too!

• I'm ok thanks for asking. Things are better and I've got a good team looking out for me.

Yes I would like to go back to the library as soon as I can! I really enjoyed it there and I love books so it was the best of both worlds for me.

• i work at a delivery company that tried to model itself like amazons working conditions but became worse lol
    ranked the worst delivery company in the uk.
    i work in the warehouse depot sorting and scanning the parcels, open trailer doors all sides so its hell in winter as your basically working outside, and winter is longest hours as its peak time and so you can work anything up to 16 hours per shift, a day shift but yet it starts in the afternoon and carries on all through night into next day. rubbish supervisors that attack you all the time and dont recognise your their best worker and instead treat you like the worst and try and get all their clique supervisor friends to cause trouble for you, aweful place to work. im amazed i managed to stay there, every day i fight against my own urge to just quit or claim 3 months doctors note off with depression.

got the job in 2021 out of the blue when i was 31 with barely any jobs before it but there was no interview or cv judging so i got through by agency that didnt care about who they send for jobs so my lack of work didnt matter to this one, bad company with high staff turnover anyway which is why they take anyone without question, i part wanna hold it despite how bad it is as i dont feel i could ever get another job, it was a fluke i got this one, or it was because its bad and has high turnover that i got it. so ill hold on as long as i can despite really wanting to drop the job. i have a mortgage to pay first before i think of dropping it. and even without mortgage i doubt welfare can really allow me to pay my flats service charge and electric bill and food and so on anyway. although im on my final warning so i guess it doesnt even matter if i hold on and do my best and suffer through it as the supervisors will probably just fire me anyway at this rate lol

im concerned this company is taking over from both the post offices work, and amazon primes deliveries now.... its a really bad company and i dont feel it should be given all of the important jobs its being given. it simply cannot manage it, and it does so by over straining its abused staff.

• They have also been quite successful in that a few of the volunteers now work part time elsewhere as well although I don’t know in every case whether this is paid or unpaid.

That’s great, the café has obviously given these people some brilliant opportunities.

A local woman makes the cakes. I say coffee and cake but if I have a normal order it tends to be green tea and a flapjack.

Nice choice.

• A local woman makes the cakes. I say coffee and cake but if I have a normal order it tends to be green tea and a flapjack. Having said that I alternate between coffee and green tea so if I have two breaks I’ll have one of each. It also depends on the cakes - some go better with green tea and some go better with coffee.

The main problem the women who run the cafe normally have is giving everyone who wants a shift a shift. Quite often there are more volunteers (on duty or off duty) or family / carers in the cafe than customers.

They have also been quite successful in that a few of the volunteers now work part time elsewhere as well although I don’t know in every case whether this is paid or unpaid.

• I enjoyed it but my MH got too bad for me to continue in the end.

I am sorry this happened to you, I hope you are ok now?

Woukd you consider going back to library work/something similar?