Employment

What jobs do people have? If any. 

Parents
  • I had electro/mechanical skills allowing me to work on my own. After three redundancies I decided to get out as a hands on engineering fitter. This was/is a dieing sector when compared to the service sector. This was problematic for me lacking in face to face engagement skills necessary to deal with the public or B2B.  After some considerable time pondering this I decided to buy a new franchise offering a simple tree stump grinding service to all economic sectors using a diesel powered self propelled tree stump grinder.  This was solitary work as a "one man band" owner-operator enabling me to use my skills for any repairs or maintenance to the machine. My exposure to customers was minimal. After one initial four year franchised contract I provided this service over the following 20+ years on my own into my 70's. I had serviced a broad spectrum of customers ranging from HM at Sandringham to council estates. It had been quite an experience. I must emphasise I was always in a fortunate position as an employee to be productive working on my own as a fitter in various industries. Yes, there are always groupies in any organisation, but I didn't mind being the odd one out. My boss was the only one I needed to be concerned with,---and I rarely saw him.  Now that I'm retired I busy myself in my shed rarely finding a need to venture out into town or for that matter anywhere else.  I am considered the town's pariah but that's ok with me I have nothing to prove to enyone.

• I had electro/mechanical skills allowing me to work on my own. After three redundancies I decided to get out as a hands on engineering fitter. This was/is a dieing sector when compared to the service sector. This was problematic for me lacking in face to face engagement skills necessary to deal with the public or B2B.  After some considerable time pondering this I decided to buy a new franchise offering a simple tree stump grinding service to all economic sectors using a diesel powered self propelled tree stump grinder.  This was solitary work as a "one man band" owner-operator enabling me to use my skills for any repairs or maintenance to the machine. My exposure to customers was minimal. After one initial four year franchised contract I provided this service over the following 20+ years on my own into my 70's. I had serviced a broad spectrum of customers ranging from HM at Sandringham to council estates. It had been quite an experience. I must emphasise I was always in a fortunate position as an employee to be productive working on my own as a fitter in various industries. Yes, there are always groupies in any organisation, but I didn't mind being the odd one out. My boss was the only one I needed to be concerned with,---and I rarely saw him.  Now that I'm retired I busy myself in my shed rarely finding a need to venture out into town or for that matter anywhere else.  I am considered the town's pariah but that's ok with me I have nothing to prove to enyone.

Children
No Data