Work wants me to change where I sit

My workplace is trying to be really accommodating to my disabilities. I have seizures, hearing loss and some joint issues (yes I won the genetic lottery). Our office usually hot desks which means we can sit anywhere we like however, HR has recommended I get an assigned desk set up for me only. 

The problem is I've been working at this company for a year already and have my seat. I always sit there. People will literally move when I come in to the office (I work out off the office sometimes visiting other sites). It's my seat. My manager was being really supportive but just didn't get it. He thinks that it's "only one move" and "the new seat will become your seat".

I don't want to move. The idea stresses me out. Currently, I set up on a picnic table where I can spread all my stuff out, there aren't loads of people around me, but if people do need to talk to me I can see them coming, there's a lot of open space if I do have a fit, and to be frank I've been there a year. I don't want to change now. The idea of it is stressing me out but I promised I'd think about it. 

It feels silly to be almost crying over a seat, but I don't understand how to communicate that I don't want to move. I've said it directly and indirectly, including the words "I am autistic, change is hard, I don't feel comfortable moving". 

Is there anything I can do or am I stuck with the move I don't want?

Parents
  • I often wondered if I was being a bit "snowflakey" /fussy / demanding in my job as I had asked for some reasonable adjustments which were actually quite minor things. They didn't impact on anyone else and were easy to implement. It is about being able to do your job well and some people need things others do not. I understand theres probably a bit of "tailspin" in your head at the prospect of moving.

People are not mind readers and often judge others on their own experiences so while it isn't much of a big deal for a lot of people to move, it is for some and there's no right or wrong. It sounds like you need to make it clear to your manager why you need the same space. (This is easier said than done, as posted above sometimes we think we are being clear but we are not to them. If it was me I'd explain why the change is hard....a new environment is more for my brain to process / an extra load on top of doing my job....plus if other sensory aspects not mentioned which might distract you.... ). HR have said you should have an assigned desk so you need to find out why your manager wants you to move if they can't let you stay. Sometimes change is a bit easier if we know the reasoning and details. Your employers sound quite reasonable but unfortunately sometimes we have no say on some things in life, so the alternative is to accept there'll be a bit of an acclimatisation period and not be hard on yourself because it'll settle eventually.

I do wonder why life isn't made a bit easier for certain people in order that they can do their job to a good standard. Surely this is in the interests of every employer. A happier and less stressed workforce are more productive.

• I often wondered if I was being a bit "snowflakey" /fussy / demanding in my job as I had asked for some reasonable adjustments which were actually quite minor things. They didn't impact on anyone else and were easy to implement. It is about being able to do your job well and some people need things others do not. I understand theres probably a bit of "tailspin" in your head at the prospect of moving.

People are not mind readers and often judge others on their own experiences so while it isn't much of a big deal for a lot of people to move, it is for some and there's no right or wrong. It sounds like you need to make it clear to your manager why you need the same space. (This is easier said than done, as posted above sometimes we think we are being clear but we are not to them. If it was me I'd explain why the change is hard....a new environment is more for my brain to process / an extra load on top of doing my job....plus if other sensory aspects not mentioned which might distract you.... ). HR have said you should have an assigned desk so you need to find out why your manager wants you to move if they can't let you stay. Sometimes change is a bit easier if we know the reasoning and details. Your employers sound quite reasonable but unfortunately sometimes we have no say on some things in life, so the alternative is to accept there'll be a bit of an acclimatisation period and not be hard on yourself because it'll settle eventually.

I do wonder why life isn't made a bit easier for certain people in order that they can do their job to a good standard. Surely this is in the interests of every employer. A happier and less stressed workforce are more productive.

Children
No Data